Thread: new to the community

Default new to the community

hows it going? i am new to the site my name is Donnie and i have worked very closely with reptiles for sometime now, i helped run my friends reptile shop for a long time. but i have only recently decided to get a tegu. ive had him for a year and a half now, well at least i thought he was a male but he has not yet shown any signs of jowls so he might be a she, his name is tegu buddy or tegu san, like godzilla-san, any way i look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with all of you

5nak3ma5t3r

1 b&w Argentine
    2 California kingsnakes
    1 high yellow jungle carpet python
    1 rose haired tarantula
    1 bearded dragon
    1 Doberman
    2 kitties
    and a Cockatiel

HI Donnie, Welcome Aboard ... Glad to have you join us!

Congrats on getting a Tegu !!!
    Within 24 months, male Tegus start showing the fatty looking jowls as you mentioned and also he would be leaving you some sperm plugs when he goes to the bathroom.

We look forward to talking with you too. We would love to see pics of your pets, when you have the time ....
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Hi Donnie. Welcome to the Tegu forum family and congrats on your Tegu. I could see the jowls on my male Tegus when they were a little bit after a year old. You can put your finger right under his/her vent. If it's a male you will feel a pump ( bead ) on each side of the vent. If not than you have a female. I have a Argentine b/w Tegu ( Zeus ) whos jowls are very small but I can feel the beads. He is our oldest one. He is still smaller than our other b/w Tegu because he has been hibernating ( 2 winters now ). Did yours ever hibernated ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

hes hidernated once but i dont plan on breeding so ive been keeping him warm and i would love to put pictures up i just half to get a camera that works