Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu Tips?

Question Tegu Tips?

Hi everybody, im new to this site and im inches away from getting a new b/w columbian tegu. Ive had a beardie for a while and am serious about reptiles! Ive got approxamately a 55 gallon tank that is a "tegu house in progress" and i was wondering if there are any extreme "do's/don'ts" to setting up a tegu cage. Im using a thick layer of cypress mulch, a large hide, large water bowl, driftwood, and looking for any other additions. I just wanted to add that i came across this forum site and have been glued to my laptop ever since, you people are a great bunch and if i get my tegu ill post pics! Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Hello snwboardVT, Welcome Aboard ! ...and Thank You very much.

Excellent! You been doing your homework ... Your set up sounds perfect. You probably know they like to dig, hide and burrow in the Cypress. Don't forget the good UVB bulb.

Congrats! On getting a Colombian Tegu !!!
    If we can help you with anything at all don't hesitate to ask. Yes, we do look forward to seeing him ....
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Wow you replied fast! Thank you for the warm welcome and also had a little question on common disease or parasite symptoms i can look for to help immediatly counter

One of the signs of parasites is runny poo but take into consideration what you have fed your Tegu. To be certain, you need to take a poo sample with you to your vet. A check up for a new Tegu is always a good idea if you can.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Thanks, ill grab a sample and send it off to my vet, ill try to grab the name of the breeder im getting the tegu from too.

Hi snwboardVT. Welcome to the Tegu forum family and congrats on getting your new Tegu. Thank you so much for the very nice compliment . Do you know yet where you are going to get your Tegu from ? Like Angelrose sad it is a good idea to take a stool sample to the vet. Don't get scared if your Tegu has a runny stool if you just feed him a lot of raw meat/ fresh fish filets. That's normal. Make sure you feed him some frozen/thawed rodents to keep the stool solid and also for the calcium. To keep most of the humidity in the enclosure you can cover most of the enclosure with a damp towel ( if you have a screen top ). The 55 gallon should be fine for a little while. Tegus do grow fast. I don't know how fast the Columbians grow because I just have Argentines. Can't wait to see the pictures. Hope to see you around.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

thank you also for being so friendly and welcoming. ill get on top of the breeder info and im already starting blue prints for an 8x4x3 enclosure. what do you use for supplements and what kind of schedule do you keep when giving vitamins? Do you vary the diet of your tegus based on a schedule? Nice tegu videos on youtube by the way! Youve got some beautiful tegus there!

Your welcome . Thank you for the compliments ( about my Tegus and videos ). I'm glad you like them. The care sheet below is the same for the columbian than it is for the argentine one. But most columbians don't eat the fruit. It's good that you already know where to get your Tegu from. I also use some timers for my lights. I got them at walmart for about $5 each. I have the lights come on when the sun comes up and have them turn off when the sun goes down. Or I have them all the way turned off when they are hibernating. But you don't have to worry about the hibernation thing with a Columbian.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

welcome aswell! Good to see you have plans for a bigger cage, My room is a disaster because i'm in the process of making a huge cage for a tegu i dont have yet :/

But at least i'll have room for 2 :]
    If you have any questions let us know!

Thank you JamesB and Txrepgirl for responding so fast. lol im still so impressed that i became a member here less than 24 hours ago and already i have had many questions answered and i feel like a member of your family. Great Great site! P.S. im heading out to wall-mart, tractor supply, etc... today to look for some toys and stuff for "Domo"(i kinda like that name....still thinkin about others). Im gonna see if i can find any local people that have a tegu so that i can see there setup. Thanks again!