Thread: Help asap!!!!

Default Help asap!!!!

Ok so montegu ha ssome problems. everything has been fine with her up until now. yesturday when she was going to poop she seemed really constipated and was trying to squeeze out a big poop. nothing came out. she was fine went to her business and ate.

I come home from work today and shes laying on her side with a red/brown thing sticking out of her vent. trying to squeeze it out. its not coming out and i have no idea what it is or what to do. please help!! i can pics if needed.

thanks in advance.

**edit. so i just quickly looked around and its definatly prolapse i believe. its big though like large grape size, maybe bigger. she seems so uncomfortable. im going to put her in tub now then on towel...why does this happen?and is it going to happen more?i feed her on my floor off a plate so no substrate eating.and lastly is she going to die? im worried...
    Last edited by Blazing; 02-27-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: found info

You need to keep her vent and the prolopse moist and get her to the vet ASAP. Good Luck

Definitely keep her prolapse moist and clean. Remove her from the regular enclosure and put her on moist towels until she can get to the vet. I can't emphasize enough that vet care is needed.

If the vet knows about keeping reptiles, perhaps he/she can help you find out why this happened. It could be compacted hair, dehydration, cool temps, not enough exercise, not enough fiber in the diet, parasites....many reasons. In short, she just kept straining to pass something.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

If you have a big plastic tub to hold her, line it with damp towels and use a heating pad underneath to keep the temperature at about 90 F. Check it often with a temp gun if you have one, since the heating pads heat unevenly and are not precisely controlled. Use K-Y jelly, not vasoline, to moisten the prolapse tissue. Some people recommend dissolving a sugar in a bath to help shrink the tissue, but I don't know correct amounts or if there is any possible harm in this. Do you know of a reptile vet where you live?

We recently had the same problem but it was only a small prolapse. I hope you have been to the vet already next time you come to this forum. But I thought I could share a little tip that we used as temporary enclosure, which has been working good so far (he's been in there for a week now, will be moving back to his enclosure tomorrow).

As others already has pointed out, it is important that you keep your tegu clean in a moist environment. What we did was to take a ordinary plastic box, dilled some holes in if for air and also some holes to install a UVB lamp. We got a heating pad underneath the box. All we had inside was a clean and moist towel and a bowl of water. But if you have a spare terrarium that would be even better.

If your Tegu is going to spend some time in the temporary enclosure I think it's good to actually have some lightning in it. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by isdrake; 02-27-2010 at 10:41 AM.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happend to montegu. Do you let her free roam around the house ? It doesn't mean because you feed her outside the enclosure that she can't get impacted from something else. I feed all of our Tegus outside the enclosure and my female hybrid Tegu got impacted from a piece off plastic ( the cap ) from a door stopper. How are the temps and how old is the UVB light ? Do you feed her a lot of rodents ? If the temps or the UVB isn't right she could off got impacted from the furr off the rodents. This is one way she could off got the prolapse. Was she by any chance on a couch or bed and fell off. I fall could cauze this, too. Here are some videos on how you can treat a prolapse. Please keep us posted.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...lapse-(-videos-)
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

i saw your video, and dont think its prolapse really anymore. it looks like asac filled with poop. and i think i can see bark inside. it only free roams my room and is on my floor which is clean n lizard proof.

Blazing, I hate to play remote vet here but what you are describing sounds like a prolapsed or herniated intestine. If you can see mulch or poop or just more tissue through what looks like a tissue sack that is partly external, that is not normal. I urge you to try the advice that has been shared here and to see a vet.

I would take the Tegu to a vet. Just to be on the save side. Better save than sorry.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl