Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help us please! :(

I've not had to deal with a prolapse myself, but I've heard of others having the problem once in their animals and never having it again. So, I wish the best for you in the future. It's so easy to get attached and want the best for those we care for!

It didn't seem like a big prolapse and hopefully your prompt attention and vet care will serve him well.

Did the vet have any ideas as to why this happened? Was he eating substrate and trying to pass it or was it diet related?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

We don't know what caused it. =/ But I'm glad to hear that some Tegus don't get this back.

Bacardi is doing alright. I was nervous about getting him to drink the antibiotics. We followed one of Txrepgirls videos about force feeding and it worked fine. So far everything seems good. He haven't pooped yet but he have peed several times which I think is a good thing.

good luck! Beautiful Tegu!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Roy x Purdy Hatchling Born June 28, 2009
    August 21, 2009 - 16 inches - 4oz
    September 7, 2009 - 19 inches
    September 23, 2009 - 21 inches
    October 1, 2009 - 23 inches
    Feb 4, 2010 - 29 inches
    May 9, 2010 - 35 inches - 3 POUNDS!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/simon021

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Well at least all is well. I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope he doesn't have to go through anything like that again. But at least he's lucky enough to have responsible and great owners. Good job! Keep us updated.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    -Art-

I am so sorry that I didn't see this post sooner. I wish I would have. I'm glad everything went well but to be honest with you the prolapse your Tegu had was much smaller than the one my Tegu had when he was a baby. He ate some mulch and got inpacted and got a prolapse from that. My vet told me to give him some warm baths two to three times a day and keep him clean. It went away withing a week and he was fine. I know someone else whos Tegu had a huge prolapse and it went away without surgery. I'm glad my video was helpful to you .

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...lapse-(-videos-)
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

It's good to know that it can go back to normal by "itself". But I'm still happy we went to the vet.

So far the vent looks fine. But I'm afraid he might suffer from worse things then the prolapse. =(
    Today he was supposed to to move back to his enclosure. But once he got a bigger place to move around on we noticed that he walks very poorly. He doesn't even support his forefeet. We haven't noticed this earlier because of the small space he's been living in during the quarantine. We tried to film it so that we could show your guys but the camera broke...

He did walk a little funny before we went to the vet the first time. Like he was a little bit more clumsy than usual. But we though that was because he was feeling uncomfortable due the upcoming prolapse. And we did tell the vet about it. But now it's much worse.

We think it's MBD. =/ The legs feel swollen and his fingers seems floppy. We called the vet again but they didn't think it was urgent enough to come right away. So we will call again tomorrow and make an appointment. But yeah, pretty sure it's MBD. And I'm also pretty sure he didn't get it while living with us. We have been very careful to make everything correct. And besides, Whisky our other Tegu that we have had for one month longer is in excellent shape. We made a health examination on her last week.

I'm even more concerned now then before. I have a question though. If a lizard breaks a leg, is that obvious from the start? I mean, will the lizard try not to use the leg? I'm worried that Bacardi might have broken both the forelegs, but the risk of that must be really small. And besides, he did walk normal (just a little more clumsy) and supported all feet before putting him in quarantine. If his legs where broken we should have been able to see it right? I'm pretty sure he didn't beak anything while living in a box with nothing but a towel and a water bowl.

I must have gotten worse and worse in time.

Fibrous Osteodystrophy is the sign/symptom/term for the bone changes that accompany MBD. The body begins to pull calcium from the bones to keep the amount of calcium in the bloodstream at a proper level. In order to protect the weakening bones, fibrous connective tissue forms over the compromised areas. Since it happens in the long bones, you may see weakness in the front legs and a shortening of the jaw that gives the face a sort of babyish, short nosed, rounded look. Since calcium is important for proper muscle use as well, the poor walking and prolapse may be a sign of muscular weakness.

You can provide calcium without phosphorous every day, and avoid foods that have oxalates or high levels of phosphorous. Liver can provide a natural source of Vit D. Then he needs access to a high quality UVB bulb, preferable a mercury vapor bulb like Mega-Ray. If it's not too cold for him to get direct sunlight, an hour of sun would be perfect. In order to metabolize everything correctly, the temps must be high enough. I like to keep mine 110-115 on the basking side. The vet can prescribe oral calcium gluconate which is absorbed more readily than other forms, such as powder.

If it is MBD, I've been able to turn a few lizards around with good diet and sun, as have many other people. Here's a list of produce that may help as a guide. You want to keep the calcium: phosphorous ratio a 2:1 or 1.5:1.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

Good luck at the vet and I hope everything comes out well for your little friend. Even if it isn't MBD, any home treatment such as diet and lighting will just be a calcium boost. It isn't harmful as long as the owner doesn't add too many supplements.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

We just came back from the vet. We had to put him to sleep. =(
    It was very bad MBD, both his forearms where broken just from living in that box. The probably got the prolapse because of this too. He showed no sign of healing. His chances of surviving this was slim. And even if he did get better the way there would be long, complicated and painful. And he probably wound't be able to live a normal life.

So we though it would be better for him this way. I don't want him to suffer anymore. =(
    We are really gonna miss him...

Last photo of him.
    Last edited by isdrake; 03-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.

This is a terrible thing. I feel so bad for you. I know you were working hard to do the best for the little guy. Very sorry that this happened.

Thank you so much for sharing each stage of your discovery and treatment with us on the forum. We all learn a great deal from each others' problems, but preferably not from such hard lessons.

I hope this loss doesn't keep you from considering these fine pets again. Please stay with the forum so we can continue to share our experience together.

I'm so sorry to hear of the outcome. I understand not wanting him to suffer.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets