Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toki's new furniture

Default Toki's new furniture

Here is Toki's new staircase. I made a little stump to hold it up, but I wasn't finished shellacking it so I put it on her logs and now she is having so much fun with the logs underneath I am not sure if I should just leave it that way.
    Also made her a ramp for the groovy jacuzzi, it seemed that it was always tipping over or getting substrate in it. I want to make a stand for her food, but I wanted to get the other stuff in first so I wouldn't make it too cluttered.
    Still not finished with the viv though. I want to put some live plants in to help with the humidity level and the substrate has to go in. Not sure what to do about the back wall yet. Making these is definitely time consuming, but also allot of fun.

My son Nic helping put on the first coat of grout.

groovy jacuzzi

finished with painting.

stump before painting

stump after painting

Toki enjoying her new furniture

the dillema

Wow that's so cool. It turned out great. More people should do creative things like this for their enclosures. It sure makes it looks better.

I still looks a little plastic though, but it's hard to not get this effect, if has to be water proof after all.

Those stairs are great! They're made of styrofoam, right? So if he goes crazy and knocks them over on himself, it's not heavy enough to stab into him. And did you just coat them with that pre-mix tile grout, I think that has silicone mixed in, and is pre-colored? Or is that the stuff that's more like concrete, that you mix yourself? Is the styrofoam all completely coated on the other side? And to attach the stairs to each other, any particular glue or fixing technique that you figured out? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really impressed and this inspired me.

You do beautiful work. Very creative. Congrats! and your Tegu is beautiful and very healthy looking as well ....
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Thanks everyone! The stairs are made from styrofoam sheets that I picked up at Lowes in the insulation department for 2 bucks and change. I glued it all together with a hot glue gun, but just about any type of glue can be used. The grout I used was the powder kind that you use for tile floors. I used sanded grout for the staircase and then used non sanded for the tree stump. The non sanded grout is easier to work with and allows you to do more detail. You need to put on several coats of grout and cover the entire thing top and bottom and then use a water proofer. I used a nontoxic shellac that is water resistant. Bulls eye shellac, they sell it at Lowes and Home depot. There is a guy that has a bunch of tutorials on youtube and a website. Just go to youtube search for lizard landscapes. The guy has a bunch of really great projects. The best thing to use according to Lizard Landscapes for a wet environment is Seals All, but you can only order that online as far as I know. If you want it to be waterproof you have to use an aquarium rated sealant and that is really shiny. You can sprinkle some sand on top of the last coat of sealant to cut down on the shininess but I didn't want to do that because I didn't want exposed sand on mine since I have a glass tank and I didn't want to worry about scratching the tank. I did end up taking out the stump and leaving in the logs because she seemed to like it better that way.

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

wow, very nice, came out great and the work put in looks well worth it. Lucky tegu!
    -Art-

Thank you very much for all the additonal information. It seems like such a lot of effort, I can see why you have your son help you. Maybe I will first have a son and then teach him handywork, and then have him help me build my lizard enclosure.

LOL. The whole kid thing seems like allot more work to me... Maybe it would be easier to find a handy guy instead. Honestly, I did most of the work myself and it was more messy and time consuming than difficult.

I just want to correct one thing. Not any glue will work, some glues will actually melt the styrofoam. Which isn't so good. :P
    Whatever glue you use, try it on a small piece before you start with the real work.

That came out fantastic man! The detail on the stump is great but after you added the color and dulled it out makes the whole piece. Very cool. And nice pants LOL!!! South Park's my #1 show. And yes I have a problem collecting all the schwag myself. I'm a proud owner of Cartman pants and boxers LOL! Great job on the staircase though!