Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underbed Enclosure By James B!

Cool Underbed Enclosure By James B!

Okay guys its done!
    Well pretty much, i need a little more bedding, but i'll pick that up when i pick up the tegu. This took me about 4 days of work from start to end. I turned the lights on and with in an hour or so the cage was all ready nice and hot. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking!

EDIT: I could only add 15 pictures so i had to take 2 out :/

Here is what my room was like before: Just a regular Futon.

After clearing out enough space we had to get all the materials in!

Then to start building, We made the bottom frame of the cage and decided that would be the best time to attach the bottom sheet of plywood to the frame, so we flipped it up and attached it all.

After drilling in some of the supports, we flipped it back down to keep working on the framing.

Starting to frame the top part.

Basically have the whole top frame part done, just trying to decide what to do next.

All outsides are painted black! Now i used some construction paper to make it look less like a big wooden box :p This is the first wall (the back) mounted up!

First heat lamp is in, and second wall is up, this wall again has no windows, but does end up getting a few vents eventually to help keep fresh air in the cage.

Next was mounting the UVB bulb, i decided to put this right on the upper level so they could get nice and close to it to soak up those rays! I ran all the wiring out the back through a 2x4 after drilling a large hole.

First wall with windows is up!

All of the walls are on, and the top is on. First one to jump on top is my little brother, at least if it would've broke I could have blamed it on him hah.

What this is all about! A bed on top of a Tegu enclosure! Enclosure doesn't rock back and forth, or sideways. Extremely sturdy! No complaints this far, other than jumping in and out of it, but i kinda like sleeping up high.

Here is the vent on the side with no windows.

And here is the inside, still needs some more bedding. Check out the giant water dish!, they should like that.

Once i get my new tegu(s) I'll post some more pictures of it. I'm thinking if i get baby tegus i may keep them in a smaller enclosure until i can keep track of where they are in the big cage. I hope you all get some ideas from this, im sure there are tons of ways it could be better, i didnt post any completely finished pictures yet from the outside, but i've been super busy so this should do. Hope you enjoy!

Nice. I turned out great.

Thumbs up

looks great man.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Omg! That's outrageous! I wish I had a 1/3 of the talent you have in building May I ask how long this took you to build ?
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I started at about noon on monday, and finished completely on friday. Mainly just working during the day hours though.

Thats awesome man! Really a great enclosure!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Roy x Purdy Hatchling Born June 28, 2009
    August 21, 2009 - 16 inches - 4oz
    September 7, 2009 - 19 inches
    September 23, 2009 - 21 inches
    October 1, 2009 - 23 inches
    Feb 4, 2010 - 29 inches
    May 9, 2010 - 35 inches - 3 POUNDS!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/simon021

Nice looking and very impressive work. This will make some tegu(s) very happy.

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Great idea and looks good! I just have a few things. You mentioned needing more substrate, which is fine, but i noticed the wood does not look sealed. Are you planning on sealing the wood or covering it in a water proof material? Also, in the last picture, is that completely lit up? (all lights on?)

I raise these questions on the side of caution, not to criticize your work. If you haven't thought of sealing the wood, I would recommend buying an acrylic based paint or another outdoor type paint. I think sealing the wood has a double benefit for you. One, the wood will not rot, and two, you won't wake up one morning from the cage caving in and landing on your tegu because the wood rotted out and got soft and gave way one night. I also would recommend a few strip lights just for added light inside the enclosure as it seems a bit dark.

Other than that, it looks fantastic and looks to make a new tegu a very happy individual. Great job!
    -Art-

Looks good!

So this idea spawned from my thread... I too am named James, but James D. And I too sleep on a Futon...

I sealed the bottom, and the sides, just not the top, i figured water would probably hit the bottom of the cage so i sealed that. It kinda looks dark just because it was night out when i took those pictures, if i took pictures during the day it would look way brighter. The cage is super strong. I HIGHLY doubt that anything bad will happen. i've tried jumping on it and moving it and it doesnt shake any direction at all.

Haha yeah youre thread helped this idea come along. my futon is in the garage now hah.