Thread: Slow Growing?

Default Slow Growing?

We got Toki in September and I think that she was no more than a couple weeks old. Just tiny I think not much more than 6".

She is currently in a 2'x4'x2' enclosure with mercury vapor bulb. She eats dubias, super worms, ground turkey, fruit, egg, calcium and vitamin supplements. She has never been a ravenous eater but is not skinny either. she is now about 5 months old and only 15" and has had 3 full body sheds since we got her. She is getting ready for shed 4. I noticed a few loose scales on her face this morning. Has anyone else had a tegu grow this slowly? I don't care that she is little, she has been to the herp vet who says she is perfectly healthy. She is puppy dog tame and seems totally happy. It just seems to me that all the baby tegus I see on here grow pretty fast. I am just wondering if this is unusual? Maybe she is just going to be a tegu dwarf?

this pic was taken a few days ago.

My harley was growing pretty slow until the 5month mark and sped up, but i hav a sub-adult thats 2yrs old & is very small compared to most i've seen
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

She looks very healthy and happy to me. Since it's winter time it's normal for most Tegus to grow slowly. Once it's going to be spring time she will start to eat like a pig lol. Females also grow a lot slower than males do. Have you tried to feed her some fozen/ thawed rodents yet ? They are very good in calcium. Did she burmate or hibernate at all this winter ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

No, I haven't tried with the rodents yet and she really didn't have a brumination just allot of napping. My beardie didn't bruminate either, just slowed down allot.

The rodents will help her grow, too, and it's better than the calcium powder.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'll try a pinky mouse and see how she does with it. She seems to be eating more the last few weeks and she is really enjoying her new enclosure.

Your lizard looks alert and healthy from the pix. To be on the safe side, you might want to check the temps, including on the cool end of the enclosure. If she's not soaking up enough heat it may be slowing her metabolism.

Ate first pinky mouse yesterday