Thread: Nightcrawlers safe to feed or not safe?

Default Nightcrawlers safe to feed or not safe?

I have heard mixed views on nightcrawlers some people say they are safe and others say they have pesticides and parasites and bacteria in them any info would be appreciatted as to where to get them and where not to or if it even matters Thanks.

in NY you can buy them from Bait Shops (because NY law says all bait as to be 100% cemical/paracite free)

Nightcrawlers and earthworms generally eat dirt or detritous (sp?), and it's not like they have strong digestive tracts to "cook" or purify whatever they consume. If their dirt is full of bacteria, they carry some of that bacteria; but not all bacteria is harmful to your pet.

The big concern in my back yard is that our neighborhood is infested with squirrels, raccoons, 'possum, rats and skunks. These critters carry roundworm and other very serious parasites that lay durable little eggs that survive in the soil sometimes for years. It's very frustrating to me to see these fat, handsome worms when I work in my garden, or masses of nutritious red worms in my compost bin, and yet I have to pay good money for anything I feed my pets.

That is a pretty admirable law in the state of NY, but I cannot imagine how they enforce it on the nightcrawler level. Honestly, I'd love to have a handful of "clean" worms to start a colony. I don't really believe that those I buy at our pet stores are free of parasites; I only hope they are an improvement over my back yard.

NY is real hard on it bait shops have to order them from "approved" dealers that are state inspected.

I feed nightcrawlers purchased from my bait shop and have not any issues. I know that's not very scientific, lol, but it's all I can offer. I would not feed anything from my backyard because of the risk of pesticides, chemicals, parasites from wild animals, etc.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets