Thread: Raising humidity and getting my tegu to eat more than ground turkey?

Question Raising humidity and getting my tegu to eat more than ground turkey?

Hi everyone i just got my brand new baby b/w columbian and he/she is the cutest thing in the world...ive been debating through tons of names (he is columbian so i was thinking like coffe-java, mocha, cocaine.....originally i thought domo, but im thinkin java =D. )

Anyways i heard putting a damp towel over a screen top enclosure helps with humidity but i was wondering if you have like lights and other electrical things on top of the screen, is it hazardous to have it there, can anyone describe to me how they do it?

Also my tegu is just loving the raw turkey, but he tastes the crickets and then doesnt eat them, is there any way i can get him to eat lots of both or is it okay that he only has turkey for his meat portion....hes only about 12 inches in length right now(tip to tip) so he cant have mice and i feed him those little canned fruit coctails but rinse the sugary syrup off and just give him the fruit, he likes those too.

i really want to keep him healthy and happy, any advice? i do the calcium 1st day, calcium 2nd day, calcium+D3 3rd day, repeat. he bathes regularly every day and i have him on a feeding schedule of right when i get up and after i get home from school. he has uv A and B lighting, black night bulb. I just want him to be super happy and healthy. every piece of advice helps!
    Hayden Audy
    0.1.0 beardie
    1.0.0 german shepard
    0.0.5 annoying siblings
    0.1.0 amazing gf
    0.0.1 columbian b/w tegu

try mixing other stuff in the turkey (i use baby food, crickets/roaches/worms, fruit, vegies, and even some of the zoo-med anole food (fruit flies mixed with other stuff))
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

so like put dead crickets in the turkey? he loves his fruits though! do you think i should be worried if he only likes turkey right now? hes about 1-3 months old, how much should he be eating? thanks - hayden
    Hayden Audy
    0.1.0 beardie
    1.0.0 german shepard
    0.0.5 annoying siblings
    0.1.0 amazing gf
    0.0.1 columbian b/w tegu

you can kill the crickets (just put them in the fridge over night) and mix them right in, and you just feed him/her till it donesn't want any more

you're lucky 2 of mine are not big fans of turkey they eat it but love mice/rats so much more
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

i cant wait to be able to feed mine pinkies....i just got this little guy and hes only 12 inches at most. Crickets seem big to him =]
    Hayden Audy
    0.1.0 beardie
    1.0.0 german shepard
    0.0.5 annoying siblings
    0.1.0 amazing gf
    0.0.1 columbian b/w tegu

He should be able to eat red hots...fresh pinks. My green ameiva can eat fuzzies and he's about 14". A variety is best and turkey only really isn't the greatest. You can try these (canned or fresh): snails, crickets, grasshoppers, mealworms, silkworms, phoenix worms, wax worms, earthworms (night crawlers or red worms). Also feed ground turkey, gizzards, livers, fish (not necessarily goldfish), and scrambled or boiled eggs. I let them eat as much as they want every day while they are growing.

As for the towel trick, it's a damp towel across the top of the screen. If you have lights on one half, lay the towel on the other half. I hang linear florescents inside the tank and just have the dome on top.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

If you can get fresh berries and grapes and mix those in with the turkey, that is probably better than the canned fruit. Even if you rinse off the syrup, canned is processed in a way that its simple sugar content is unnaturally high and many of the more complex and valuable nutrients are lost.

Alrighty thanks so much! ill try getting him some fresh grapes and we have strawberries so ill give that a go, and ill see if i can get him to take a cricket today.
    Hayden Audy
    0.1.0 beardie
    1.0.0 german shepard
    0.0.5 annoying siblings
    0.1.0 amazing gf
    0.0.1 columbian b/w tegu