Thread: Rain & Behavior

Default Rain & Behavior

It has been raining all day here and Toki has wanted to sleep all day. Does anyone else have a sleepy tegu when it rains? I figure maybe they are sensitive to the barometric pressure?

I've thought the same thing. It's true of both our lizards. I get migraines when there is a rapid change in barometric pressure. It makes sense that they would sense the weather change from inside their burrow and have the instinct to lay low, so to speak, until there is enough sunshine to give them energy.

Well, in the wild they appear to hate the rain, will always retreat to their burrows, even if they are filling up with water. I've got a photo or two of tegus that look like they're about to drown in their burrow, but would rather sit in their flooded hide than go out in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    I've thought the same thing. It's true of both our lizards. I get migraines when there is a rapid change in barometric pressure. It makes sense that they would sense the weather change from inside their burrow and have the instinct to lay low, so to speak, until there is enough sunshine to give them energy.
    I get headaches too from my chronic swimmer's ear. LOL That's what made me think about the barometric pressure. I figureed even if they couldn't feel the rain or even see it they could feel it in the change in pressure the way people do when they say an old injury hurts when it rains. My beardie was sleepy all day too and only wanted out twice to free roam yesterday. I wonder if pet reptiles in places like Seatle where it rains all the time just get used to it?

That's interesting...

Mine lay low when the weather is cool, cloudy, and rainy. In the summer when we have our regular afternoon thunderstorms, it's iffy. It seems to depend on the temp, humidity, time of day, etc.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Default Bring on the Rain

Odd... Tegs is always up n running when its raining, its actually just stopped today and he's been more active than most weekends.

He loves climbing into my shower and waiting for me to turn it on, but that is a little different and usually warm.
    Kelvin

Arg. B&W ~Tegasaurus Rex~
    2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Albino Cornsnake Nathan Scott Phillips II
    Black Pepper Roach Colony
    Seemingly a Billion Mollies
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @
    http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...f-bf7a65a934e9