Thread: Fish Ick

Default Fish Ick

Hello every one! Well i have a 75 gallon tank with my softshell turtle, and three SA Oscar fish and discovered that two of them have ick. I have a few other SA fish in there with them and they are all babys. How do I treat it? I really dont want my fish to die, so if you could help that would be great! Thanks!

-Jarett

I've used over the counter ick drops and also added some salt to the water to keep infestations down. I would call a fish store and ask them how much salt to add to a 75 gal freshwater aquarium.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Hi Jarett. I'm sorry to hear about your fish and turtle. Here is some info for you. Laura had a good idea about calling a fish place in your area. Good luck .

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: Fish Ick

Thank you for the link! It was very helpful. I'm going to call a fish store in Houston today. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your welcome . I'm glad I could help. Please keep us posted. Thank you and good luck.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Halloooooooooo,
    Are you able to seperate the turtle? I would be wary of adding a medication that most likely contains copper/malachite green/formalin in with a turtle.
    One of the least stressful ways to treat ick is with salt (about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and bump the heat up to about 82-84.. very effective way, and pretty safe for most fish

Ghost

Ghost has said exactly what your supposed to do. The only other thing I would say is add the ick medication wait 3 days, 40% water change then repeat. What your doing is cycling the ick out of the tank. Do the till the water has turned over 250% then final ick treatment and it should never come back.

Default Re: Fish Ick

Well I added salt and raised the temps and the ick is gone! I didn't add the ick treatment because I was afraid for the turtle. I'm going to keep the temps up for another week and add salt. Thanks so much! The fishies thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk