Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future of tegu breeding?

The original All American Tegu mating was an accident when one tegu slipped into another's enclosure. Is he intentionally breeding them again this year?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

This is what I heard and believed, too, until I saw this post.

VARNYARD
    #25 Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:26 pm
    Administrator / OwnerJoined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:01 pmPosts: 3374Location: Florida DaRealJoker wrote:
    wow that's an amazing look, will there be more? and will the red become stronger in them as they get older like the normal reds do? Upclose can u see any blue?

Well she is a red blue cross and that is the way she was when I got her, I did not breed to get her. So, I am going to cross her with a Giant, the offspring will be a 1/4 blue, 1/4 red, and 1/2 Extreme Giant Blizard. I can't wait to see the colors on the babies.

And yes, I do see hints of Blue and Red in her.

550) {this.width = 550;}">

Here is the link to this post. I'm just wondering why he would get ( trade something ) for a male and female hybrid if he didn't want to breed them.

http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1720

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

That is interesting, since he has posted before on not breeding hybrids. But people change their minds about things and I'm certainly not faulting him for that.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Who on here has hybrids? what are your plans with them? I'm thinking about making a hybrid at some point maybe.

i don't have any now, but will try to mate my B&W with my Red this spring

they were trying in January, but have gone back into hibernation
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

txrepgirl who was the breeder of your red/blues? the look awesome
    1.1 EXTREME GIANT TEGU
    1.2 BLACK AND WHITE TEGU
    1.0 RESEVERED EXTREME GIANT

TEGU_JAKE. The breeder's name if Javier Perez. His user name on photobucket, kingsnake, fauna calssifides if tigerfangs. Here is a ling to his photobucket account. He doesn't breed hybrids any more. He did it just one time. He had a awsome looking powder blue female. After he sold the hatchlings he sold the mom :( . Last year he was breeding 100% blue Tegus.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Tegus/?start=0

Here is a link where you can see some more pictures of the dad and the mom.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...angs/Reptiles/

Here are some pictures of the 100% blue Tegus he bred last year.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9.../Baby%20Blues/
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I actually lived 10 minutes from Javier... and my blue tegu is from his last seasons batch. I saw all the babies in person and got to hand pick mine! Take a look!

Males:
    Females: Extreme Giant, RedxBlue Tegu, Blue Tegu
    Dogs: Diesel(TimberwolfHybrid) Dozer(PitMix)

just my 2 cents, i have always prefered the more natural tegus. i like for my pets to look just the same as they would in the wild, not bashing the hybrids or saying it couldnt happen in the wild but most of the wild tegus are from certain locals so the chances of interbreeding is slimmer. i have toyed with the ideal of breeding my tegus one day, im hoping to get 2 more b/w's this summer(as if 3 isnt enough) and if all goes well ill maybe have a clutch of b/w tegus in the future. but i wouldnt breed my red to my b/w's.i want to keep the bloodlines pure.
    0.1 Black and white ~ Rayne
    1.0 Exterme giant ~ Storm

Woah, this is a topic that a customer and I actually got pretty in depth into the other day. With the market and gene pools like they are in a few short years there will no longer be a pure 'blue' blood line. It seems everyone is mixing their blues with reds and normals and the only reason that we could come up with was because they invested so much money into one of the tegus they'd rather go the cheaper (everything but a blue) route for the other half of the breeding. Finding a legitimate blue with no red in it's bloodline is going to become extremely complicated over the next few years.

Another point that I made in a previous post is that there is a chance for the "normal" blood lines to be reestablished with fresh blood. All of the major wholesalers are captive breeding but importing. Meaning all their babies are coming from captive bred original Argentine Black and White stock available in South America and being shipped here. Fresh, wild caught bloodlines are finally touching base in the US, for the common man!!!! Of course, that common man will have to figure out how to reestablish hibernation cycles in these new tegus to promote breeding, but it will be worth it to expand America's gene pool.

If inbreeding of Tegu 'color morphs' we'll call them, continues in the manner it has, then they will end up just like Bearded Dragons. Bearded Dragons can be complicated and expensive to breed good pure colored lines, because you have to keep such immaculate paperwork on their genealogy. If you buy a breeder from an untrustworthy source or just rescue one you can market it as nothing more than 'High Colored Orange' since you don't know the actual bloodlines. Pretty soon our market will spike back up to the pure lines and then there will be animals marketed as 'Pretty Argentine Tegus' because we cannot verify how large they will be (anywhere from 3-6 feet depending on if they're a blue cross or an extreme cross) or how their colors are going to turn out. This makes the investment in the 'Pretty Tegu' a flop and their market value will drop, because serious keepers and those of you (collectively) looking to invest in a breeding project will want to know what lines you have acquired and everything you can about the animal in order to properly sell it's offspring to a potential buyer.

It's evident in my 'Extreme'. I bought him for $100 as a 'pretty but scary tegu' and the guy didn't know anything about his background. TxRepGirl has pointed out that he has a lot of things in common with the blue, but at the same time a lot of things in common with the Extreme. Thank goodness he is already so old, meaning the gene pool is excessively smaller to correctly predict what his actual genes are. If he outgrows my Argentine, I can knock it off as definite Varnyard Stock since noone else was breeding Extremes (or any crosses) the year he was born, if he remains smaller than the Argentine, then I have to wonder, is he a blue hybrid??? This is where the breeding situation of Tegus has come...
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons