Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is prolapse a common problem with Tegus?

I lost a beautiful Tegu a few years ago when it ate cyprus mulch and ended up getting a prolapse as a result of struggling to pass it. I always fed my tegu in another room outside of his enclosure and made sure he carried no food on his feet back into his enclosure. He was fed the proper diet and the proper amount as recommended on the Tegu breeder sites, but he still ate his substrate. When I researched this, I found out that tegu's eating their substrate is a common occurence, that's why I always removed him from his enclosure to eat. I changed his substrate to eco-earth which is similiar to peat, so if any is swallowed it will pass easier than pieces of wood; but the damage was already done. Keep an eye on your tegu, their intelligent, but sometimes act like little kids by putting things in their mouths that they shouldn't.

Hi paulsreef. Welcome back . I haven't seen you around for a long time. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to our Tegu. I lost a very beautiful female blue/red hybrid Tegu because she ate some mulch. She didn't get impacted. But when I found her dead in the enclosure she had a piece of mulch stuck in her mouth and her gum had dried on blood. We thought that when she poked her gum open a infection got into her blood stream and killed her. I just held her the day before. She was the best eater ( out of our five Tegus ). She ate more fruits and veggies then the others. Tegus do get into alot. She also got impcted the year before with a rubber cap from a metal door stopper spring. She pooped it out. May your Tegu R.I.P.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

My friend's Lab died from eating pine cones; the vet said that he didn't even chew them, he swallowed them whole and was full of them. I'm starting to think it's the same sort of thing. I read that they could get impacted from eating eco-earth too; if the eco-earth dries out and is swallowed, it could expand in the tegu's moist intestines and cause a blockage. I'm probably going to go with the topsoil/sand mix with my next tegu, it's too stressful to go through that again.

txrepgirl, thanks for welcoming me back.

Your welcome . I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's Lab. What a scary storie. Good luck with your next Tegu.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl