Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Field herping in Galapagos

Just came across these pics and wow what an experience to have! I have been in love with the Marine Iguana for years. To see one up close would be breath taking! I can't beilieve the size of the tortoise! One day I may get a tortoise, on a smaller scale though.
    You are a lucky lady!

I recommend Galapagos as a pilgrimage for anyone who loves reptiles, or who appreciates nature at all for that matter. Every day I saw things that amazed me from sun up to sun down. If you snorkel, you also see much more. It's not easy or cheap to get there, but is worth it. In the week I was there, I took nearly a thousand photos.

If you visit the islands, you have to go with a licensed guide. Some guides and boat captains are much better than others. If you have to hitchhike to get there, do not scrimp on the guide company-- you can miss a lot of information and it can also be dangerous. I can strongly recommend Lindblad National Geographic Expeditions. Not only are they very experienced and hire knowledgeable guides, they are all about getting you up close to experience the environment but in a way that doesn't damage or disturb it.

How long did it take to get there? I assume there is no airstrip, so by boat off the coast of Ecuador?

From Miami you fly to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Interesting colonial era historic sites, if you can spend a day there. Very high altitude. Then you take a puddle jumper to Guayaquil, on the coast. One of the Galapagos Islands has sadly been heavily developed (it's a long history). There is an air strip and I understand it has now been enlarged to accommodate regular jets. So you don't need to go by boat, but it took us over a day to get there. The Islands are very vulnerable right now because Ecuador is generally a poor country and poachers have been opportunistically moving in. I think the current president is not favorable toward protection, but they change presidents very frequently.