Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meats and such?

how do tegus like pears, grapes, strawberrys, bananas?

I think fruits really depend on the individual animal just like in humans everyone's sense of what tastes good is different. They are all unique and have things that they like best. So far, Toki loves blueberries, but not strawberries but I am sure you will find others that would say that their tegu is the exact opposite. Even though she has thus far only shown real interest in the blueberries, I still continue to try new things and offer the strawberries, other fruit and vegetables and greens, like dandelion greens too. You just have to experiment to find out what yours likes best, but I would continue to offer other things that they may have turned their nose up to in the past as sometimes opinions can change. With my lizards I just approach it like I am feeding a picky toddler, try and try again, you can't give up or they'll run the show and be eating nothing but french fries. LOL
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

It is a bit of trial and error. Generally speaking, most of mine like all kinds of berries, melon is so-so, all seem to like papaya, grapes, and bananas, pears and apples are iffy.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I have a few other qustions reguarding food:
    Can Tegu eat saltwater fish? I know some monitors have problem with it but I'm not sure about Tegus.
    I guess it's okay to feed them snails?
    Is there anything in a bearded dragons diet that a Tegus shouldn't eat? I always keep a mixed salad for our dragon in the refrigerator. I was thinking about taking some of it and mix with fruit and give it to our Tegu. Would that be safe?

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Correct....whole prey is always better. Mine like fruits but not too many vegetables/greens. Where I live it is illegal to breed roaches, so it is hard to get a good supply of large, fresh insects.
    That's goo to hear. I will stick with the whole pray. :P I'm glad that I live up north so that keeping roaches isn't a problem. Tropical roaches can't survive here. On the other hand, it's harder to keep reptiles outdoors. :(

well i feed shaymus some strawberries and bananas he loves them!!

YAY!! Toki Tried liver for the first time yesterday and said YUM! More Please!!
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

Isdrake,

There are no problem feeding a Tegu with things that a beardie eat. (except for pellet if you gives some).

As for the salad, it depends of which kind. If you are talking about iceberg or only romaine, than it would be useless to give it to your tegu, because both of these salad are poor in nutrition.

If you do have some spring mix, than it's completely different. Spring mix and mazuri pellets are most of the time used as a stapple food for tortoise. Tortoise are primaly vegetarian (except some omnivorus species like redfoot or yellowfoot), and this spring mix is varied and offer a very high calcium food (2:1 ratio; calcium: phosphorus) and could be an excellent add for a Tegu diet. Some tortoise keeper suggest to remove the spinach leaves, because it suppose to bind calcium, but I don't think that a few spinach leaves will make a big difference.

hope it helps
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3233 View Post
    Isdrake,

There are no problem feeding a Tegu with things that a beardie eat. (except for pellet if you gives some).

As for the salad, it depends of which kind. If you are talking about iceberg or only romaine, than it would be useless to give it to your tegu, because both of these salad are poor in nutrition.

If you do have some spring mix, than it's completely different. Spring mix and mazuri pellets are most of the time used as a stapple food for tortoise. Tortoise are primaly vegetarian (except some omnivorus species like redfoot or yellowfoot), and this spring mix is varied and offer a very high calcium food (2:1 ratio; calcium: phosphorus) and could be an excellent add for a Tegu diet. Some tortoise keeper suggest to remove the spinach leaves, because it suppose to bind calcium, but I don't think that a few spinach leaves will make a big difference.

hope it helps
    The salad I was talking about is usualy different kinds of leafy' greens with something like squash, peas, paprika etcetera. I try to vary the diet. :P I don't use any pellets.

Thank you for your answer. It will be easier to vary the Tegus diet if I can steal some from the dragon. XD And I don't have to make several salad mixes.

The beardie salad should be fine. I'm not sure about salt vs freshwater. I usually feed mine freshwater fresh such as tilapia because that's what is available here. They will also eat tuna and salmon.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Our Tegu actually ate some salad yesterday. Usually she just spits it out and eat the fruit instead. XD I'm so proud of her, hehe.

I have yest another question regarding food. I have noticed that many people give their Tegu cod liver oil (probably because Bobby recommend it). I know that it contains healthy vitamins and such. But isn't it a risk that it contains bad stuff too? I don't know the English word for it... What i mean is that an animal that lives in a pretty bad environment (the oceans isn't in such a great shape) must have some nasty stuff in it's liver. And that this might make cod liver unhealthy?