Thread: Question about Zoo Med Powersun

Default Question about Zoo Med Powersun

Haven't posted anything here in quite a while.

Alright, I've been reading that there is no point in using the 100 watt Zoo Med Powersun because at 100 watts, it doesn't emit nearly enough UVB.

Is this true? I'm becoming paranoid now because I've been using the 100 watt bulbs for my Bearded Dragon and Red Eared Slider for over a year (replacing them regularly, of course).

Not sure if anybody remembers, but a while back I posted about my Bearded Dragon being totally different than he was when I first got him. He started acting sluggish and never wanted to come out of his terrarium. Since then, he has perked up slightly, but still isn't completely back to his robust, hyper self. I was wondering if this behavior has anything to do with a UVB deficiency?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Here is some UVB output information http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Researchmain.html

Get a 160watt next time you change or now if you want. How close can the reptiles get to it?

I use 100watt PowerSun for my tegus and they are fine. I have a 100watt Power Sun for one of my beardies and she does OK with it. It prefer linears for them, though because it can get close to them. For some reason my beardies seem sensitive to the MVB.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Good to see you around, BoxTurtle, how have you been?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Thanks. I've been doing pretty good. I've been getting out and hiking a lot (check out my Youtube).

Thanks, both of you, for the advice. How close can your beardies get to the Powersun?

My Red-Eared Slider is very close to his 100 watt Powersun, though. The bulb is a little over a foot above the basking platform. I know it should be a little bit higher so as to prevent turtle ''sunburns,'' but since it's already so close, I assume he has been getting enough UVB from the bulb? Right now, I don't have a way to suspend the lamp any higher (I am using Zoo Med's heat lamp stand and I already have it as high as it will go). So I don't think I would feel comfortable going with the 160 watt (I think it would be much too powerful for how close it would be to my turtle).

However, my Bearded Dragon's 100 watt Powersun is about 2 feet above the substrate. If he climbs onto his basking log, he can be 8-10'' from the bulb. But, of course, he doesn't always bask on his log. If he basks just sitting on the play sand, is the 100 watt still going to emit enough? If I go with the 160 watt, and he basks on his log, will the more powerful bulb give him a ''sunburn'' being that close?
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

I saw your Youtube, very cool! I'm going to start hiking around Seminole Co this spring summer.

The 100watt being 12" above is fine. The 100watt 2ft above your beardie may not be close enough for him to receive enough UVB if he is on the sand.

The 160watt can be 18-24" away. If he is 8-10" from a 160watt, especially new, he can certainly have some problems with that.

The issues with my beardies is that I would set the 100watt about 12 inches away and they would glass dance. So she would be close and facing straight up. I have babies with a 100watt that is 12" away and they are doing just fine.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Hi BoxTurtle52. Welcome back. It's nice to see you again. I'm sorry I can't help you when it comes to your turtle. I don't know anything about them. I use the 160W for our Memphis ( bearded dragon ). He is doing fine with it. He basks allot, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaLfyOg2jjA
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

avel. Thank you for the great information. If you don't mind I'm going to make a Thread of it.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl