Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever trained their tegu to "come"

Default Has anyone ever trained their tegu to "come"

I currently have a juvi arg b/w tegu, he/she is about 12-14 inches long, I used to have one that I raised from a hatchling that grew into a monster size, unfortunately I had to give him away at the time for no longer being able to take care of him properly due to a breakup from my ex. One of the things beyond his size that used to freak people out was that I was able to make him come to me any time I wanted without using food as a bait, after using the same training technique with my new juvi after only 2 week he/she does the same thing. I'm just curious if anyone else has been able to teach their tegu to come?

I'm not sure if I'll ever get my gold to that point but I'm curious as to your technique. I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Care to share?

I believe it would be possible to train your gold though its just an assumption. I would be happy to share how I was able to train him to do it, I will post a vid of it being done first sometime this weekend followed by how I managed to train him. I just started with my juvi about 2 weeks ago and noticed a few days ago he finally responds to it and had him do it the last 3 attempts, I noticed he will only come when he is hungry though, I tried after his feeding and he doesn't even budge. My large one I had before would do it any time even after his feedings, maybe he was just always hungry but then again he was several years old and I started the training when he was a baby. Keep a watch out for the vid, I'll probably post it sometime tomorrow if not by the end of the weekend.

Thanks a ton that sounds amazing.

Mine come when I have a paper plate full of food, lol!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I post a thread about 2-3 years ago about training an animal, using a dog clicker. Due of their small intelligence compare to many mammals, training a Tegu can take more time, but it can be made just like every other animal.

As long as people are using positive reinforcement, it won't take too long.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Here's a vid I made today, he's a little feisty from being heated up from basking. Just a side note if anyone wants to critique the set up, I'm going shopping this weekend for more suitable equipment for having him roaming freely, namely the hiding box and a power sun basking light. I do have uvb in his enclosure though Enjoy the vid.

View My Video

The vid was really great. Your juvi is adorable. What where you feeding him? It would make sense that if you are using food as a positive reinforcement then as he gets bigger you should be able to get him to do more as it will take more to reach satiation. I taught rats to press a telegraph device to receive food when I was a teenager. LOL My dad taught me allot about animal training because he trained dolphins in Florida eons ago. Treats are a good motivator and if you teach your desired skills in steps it should be possible to train your tegu to do all kinds of things.
    My tegu Toki likes to get out of her viv to sit on us or run around on the counter or floor etc. So I started calling her name when I open up her viv. If she is busy glass dancing or something I snap my fingers to get her attention. Then I put my hand flat and she jumps on it and runs up my arm onto my shoulder. Sometimes she tries to climb my hair to the top of my head! This only works if I have hair pulled back into a ponytail. LOL There is never food involved, just attention that she seems to crave. And the reward of escaping her cage. I am hoping to train her to come when she is called and out on the floor like yours, but I haven't tried that yet. Right now I only do it when she is in her viv. But after seeing your video I think I will start to put her on the floor in the morning and call her over to her food bowl to eat and see how that goes. Thanks for the motivation.
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS-LIZARD View Post
    The vid was really great. Your juvi is adorable. What where you feeding him? It would make sense that if you are using food as a positive reinforcement then as he gets bigger you should be able to get him to do more as it will take more to reach satiation. I taught rats to press a telegraph device to receive food when I was a teenager. LOL My dad taught me allot about animal training because he trained dolphins in Florida eons ago. Treats are a good motivator and if you teach your desired skills in steps it should be possible to train your tegu to do all kinds of things.
    My tegu Toki likes to get out of her viv to sit on us or run around on the counter or floor etc. So I started calling her name when I open up her viv. If she is busy glass dancing or something I snap my fingers to get her attention. Then I put my hand flat and she jumps on it and runs up my arm onto my shoulder. Sometimes she tries to climb my hair to the top of my head! This only works if I have hair pulled back into a ponytail. LOL There is never food involved, just attention that she seems to crave. And the reward of escaping her cage. I am hoping to train her to come when she is called and out on the floor like yours, but I haven't tried that yet. Right now I only do it when she is in her viv. But after seeing your video I think I will start to put her on the floor in the morning and call her over to her food bowl to eat and see how that goes. Thanks for the motivation.
    Thank you. I have to say though as of now he is not responding to just the verbal command, when I started feeding him I would tap on the floor, after about 2 weeks he now recognizes the taps as feeding time, as in the vid you see I make sure that I keep my hand there for him to see so that he learns not to recognize my tapping hand as the food, I also wait a few seconds before feeding and intend to increase the time each time to break any feeding aggression he might develop by tapping and feeding. When you see him stop half way he did come the rest of the way by just the verbal command.

I fully expect in time he will learn to respond with just the verbal command as was the case with my last tegu I had, it took a while but the persistence pays off. This one seems to be learning quick, I started about 2 weeks ago and he's been doing it for the last 3 days now. With my last tegu when he was roaming around the house I would tap my knee when I was sitting on the couch and he would climb on me, it's also IMO a great thing to teach your tegu if he gets into somewhere and you cant reach him such as under the couch or bed and instead of moving the furniture he comes to you.

I'm glad it motivated you, it would be great to hear that others teach their tegu to do this, it definitely amazes people when they see it, especially anyone that wouldn't believe that a reptile could be intelligent enough to learn this. Now if I could just teach him to roll over :P

btw I was feeding him ground turkey with mineral all

If you want to make sure that he doesn't associate your hand with food try using a pair of long tweezers to drop the food or put the food in a bowl and lower it to the floor. My beardie and tegu both associate tweezers and their bowls with food. I have no problem hand feeding the beardie though, she is quite spoiled and has never attempted to bite. LOL My husband will even feed Scorch roaches or other small things by hand and it is so funny to watch her be so careful not to bite, but they also have that frog like tongue to grab things as well. I think that people underestimate lizards intelligence because most people that get them don't have the time and/or knowledge to try to train them to do any thing but be handled.
    On a side note, this morning Toki and I played find the super. I put her on the counter and put her super worms one by one into different places in a crumpled dish towel and she had fun finding them.
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby