Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasites?

Default Parasites?

Over the last couple days Tegs has been freeing the "screaming brown meanies" all over my bathroom floor.

He is still active and eating, though he seems a bit less willing to move to his basking spot in the morning throwing off his active hours.

His diet has not changed in the last 3 months and consists of chicken, ground beef, 3 mice (per week), catfish, pollock, grapes and little tomatoes. He is very reluctant on fruit and has not recently eaten any. Occasionally he gets an egg, but not in the last week and a half.

Any info? Everything seems normal except his poo. I haven't been able to find it again, but i read something about herbal remedies to aide against potential parasites?

Vet on Saturday when I head home for spring break.
    Kelvin

Arg. B&W ~Tegasaurus Rex~
    2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Albino Cornsnake Nathan Scott Phillips II
    Black Pepper Roach Colony
    Seemingly a Billion Mollies
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @
    http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...f-bf7a65a934e9

Runny stools often=parasites. My Tegu had runny stools when I gave him too many eggs (I ran out of bugs that week). If his problem persists you should see a good vet.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Just guessing, but maybe omit the pollock (it's from saltwater) and exchange the little tomatoes for a greater variety of fruit. The way I figure, no way would marine fish be part of what a tegu was built to digest. And an accumulation of tomato in his system may either be too acidic or perhaps lead to a buildup of compounds found in the nightshade plant family (of which the tomato is a proud member) which may be more harmful to little reptiles than to large humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

Neither of these dietary adjustments rules out the possibility of parasites, too. But I would work on those changes while waiting -- not too long -- to see if the problem clears up.

I am planning on taking him to the vet this weekend, like i said. He's due for a checkup anyways.

Good thought, tomatoes and grapes are oddly enough the only fruit he'll eat. He seemed to like mango for a while and then began ignoring it entirely to the point where even if I mixed it with ground turkey he would ignore it. I'm familiar with nightshade, though I did not know tomatoes were part of that family, he's never had an issue with it before, but I will be wary. He hasn't had Pollock for a couple days now and I just got a load of mice and chicks so we'll see if anything changes.

Does anyone have a good link on parasite info in Tegus or reptiles in general?
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @

I would try to give him some more rodents, chicks or quails ( something more solid ). This should help. I just fed my Leonidas some ground chicken with mangoes and apricots and he left me one runny and stinky stool, lol. They usually do that after I give them some fish, to much of the raw meat or to many fruits. After I give them the rodents they are fine. Please keep us posted on what the vet says if you take him. Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Good Advice, He had Catfish Mon, chicken breast Tues w/ vita supp., Mice yesterday and as soon as these chicks thaw, them too. He hasn't pooped yet today for me, but that typically comes in the next hour or so! lol

Like Clockwork.
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @

Something I also wanted to note was for these passed 2 days he seems to be sleeping on his side... I don't usually see him when he sleeps in his hide and I just touched it up a few days ago so I could, but I'm not so sure that is normal... Aside from those two things he seems perfectly Tegsy. Running around tearing stuff apart and causing trouble as usual.
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @

Yesterday produced interesting results, it took Tegs a while to determine whether or not he wanted to eat the chicks, but took three of them. Should I be worried about the beaks and feathers?

In the morning I got diarrhea and in the evening I got a solid stool that definitely had a bit of mouse hair, so I think his diet was the issue, but I'm still following through with the vet.
    Kelvin

2 Green Tree Frogs
    3 Anoles
    Snapper Wahmenitu
    Tropical Fish Tank

Check me out @

Don't worry about the beaks. People seem to have split ideas when it comes to feathers. Some people don't worry about the feather and others say they could impact the Tegu
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Thank you. I'm glad it worked. If you see some undigested food ( like the hair from the rodent ) I would check the UVB light. When they have some undigested food in the stool it's because 1. the UVB light is getting old or 2. he didn't bask enough or didn't get enough UVB light ( maybe from sleeping to much and not being out enough ).

I don't want to scare you but I am very worried about him sleeping on his side. Thank you for still wanting to take him to the vet and for keeping us posted. Good luck with everything.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl