Thread: restless

Default restless

Zilla has been pretty restless for the past two days, and his appetite has gone down as well. Yesterday instead of eating, three mice (his norm), he only ate one but he had some crickets earlier. Other than that he has been walking around his cage constantly. Also, his last stool was a little on the runny side but he has had worse. The house has gotten WAT hotter the past couple days and I'm guessing this has triggered the change. Am I right? Or am I flipping out over nothing?
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

If the house temps are affecting the viv temps that would make sense. IDK about Tegus but I know that beardies usually get spring fever and males will stomp, pace and head bob all day. So maybe it is hormonal?
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

Maybe he has a big project due at work or has final exams coming up? I know when I have something like that going on I pace around alot and instead of eating whole foods, I munch on little crunchy, chirpy things. Sometimes I obsess a little about the slightest signs that I might be coming down with something -- anything -- to give me an excuse to take a 5-hour nap. The weather has a big influence, also. I look out my window in the morning and see it's all bright and sunny, then sometime around midmorning I'm not paying attention and it starts pouring rain. So I go out at lunch without a warm jacket and just want to go straight home and hide inside my log.

You're so funny!

My male is fine, but my females are quite restless right now. Both pace all the time and one is refusing food. Temps are OK. We've been responding by letting them get some exercise on the screen porch.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

i never knew that! wow i have 3 males and they will not stop! all day long just getting into everything i have a baby pack and play i but them in and wow there are just tearing up everything spring fever never know now i do

thanks,
    ~b-easy

I moved his cage to the basement and chilled his temp bach to the normal range. He is more mellow now, and he ate a bunch of crickets.
    So I think he's doing alright.

This is a seperate question: My family and I have to go stay with some relatives for a while and I do not trust any one enough to take care of Zilla
    and it looks like he has to come along. He will have to stay in a dog crate and he'll still have all of his lights and stuff. So my question is do any of you have any travelling tips?
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

For road trips when he goes to see Grandma, we have a big canvas laundry bag. We tie the top so he can't get out in the car and crawl under the brake peddle. He sits on the lap of whoever is in the front passenger seat. If we have to transport him in cold weather and he has no one's lap to sleep on, we use an old fashioned, rubber hot water bottle. I think you can buy these at elderly people's supply stores. We fill it about half full with scalding water from the tea kettle. Wrap it in a heavy towel for insulation. Before putting the tegu in, we put the hot water bottle in his 25-gallon Rubbermade bin (it has air holes drilled in the lid) to warm up the floor of the bin. Then leave the warmed towel in the bin, wrap the bottle in another towel, tilt the front seat back to horizontal (or as close as it goes), and put the bottle on the seat where it will warm up half the bottom of the bin when we put the bin on top of it. The tegu then has a warmed towel in the bin, a gentle heat source under the bin, room to move off the heat when he wants. I toss another towel on top of him to keep the warm in. If he wets the bed, toss the soiled towel in the trunk and use the second towel to line the bottom.