Thread: Baby Tegu and Dwarf Monitor Love

Red face Baby Tegu and Dwarf Monitor Love

Got a very cute hatchling baby tegu at the reptile expo in San Mateo yesterday. He has his own cage but when I introduced him to my dwarf monitor Dino for some reason he loved him. He follows the dwarf monitor around like a baby duck to its mother its pretty cute. The pics dont really show it but the baby is very green .....does anyone know if the green fades to white? Just curious on coloration change as he gets older.

Default Re: Baby Tegu and Dwarf Monitor Love

Yes the green will turn to white. That's so cute how the baby sits on the monitor! I have a pic of my tegu sleeping with two of my beardies! The baby beardie is scared to death of him though! One time he escaped and climbed to cage to the top and tortured him through the glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty cool... Be very careful in letting them mingle as Ackies and tegus are not normally "buddies".
    Just some words of caution. Very nice Acky though, pretty good size!
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

ya i'm not going to house them together. It was funny though the monitor showed no signs of aggression or annoyance. Everytime the baby rested on the monitor the monitor stopped and layed down. The monitor itsself has really never shown agressiveness hes a pretty friendly little guy although i understand with another lizard its a completely new agenda.

That little baby is so precious! What a personality. You must have a very tame monitor that thinks the baby is petting him.

I would add my voice to those cautioning you from letting them mingle much, however. Even if he has no aggression, the big lizard might suddenly feel hungry and understand the baby quite differently.

Looks like you made a good find at the reptile show, but what did you think of it overall? I went and was pretty disappointed. Not many large lizards. The most amazing things to look at were those blue chameleons -- wow, they looked painted! And I was thrilled to see the little caiman lizards like Godspeed has only a bit older. The guy selling them, however, I was not comfortable with his story. Plus they were $600! But overall, very disappointing. I went there to find some custom terrarium builders and there was just one exhibitor in this line. They were not interested in doing custom work, which kinda made me wonder why they existed. What did you think of the show?

Ya I lucked out with the little tegu. I was happy with the show mainly because they had a big selection of exactly what I wanted, baby black and white arg. tegus!It was a little surreal to see them so tiny when my yearling+ is 3 feet long! I definately would have liked to larger lizards though. It seemed mainly about how many baby reptiles people could back in on a table to, not as much of a show of larger prized pets. That was my first expo though so I wasn't really sure what to expect! There were some wild chameleons! I really liked the beaded lizards aswell! Not quite sure why someone would want one as a pet though. Do you know of any bigger expos comming up?

This was the first I've gone to. I see those same producers come to the area once or twice a year, but this is the first time I was able to go and I haven't seen any others hosts advertised -- except once in Sacto, by the N. Cal. Herp Society.

You hit the nail on the head about all the babies. It kinda bothered me. I was looking at this one table with maybe 50 of those oversize petri dishes, each with a tiny, fresh corn snake in it about 3-1/2 inches long, all different flavors, and all these little kids enthralled by them. In my mind I'm seeing all these Craigslist ads for 3-ft cornsnakes, free, cuz they grew up and bit someone. On the one hand, I'm thinking it's great that captive reproduction is now so easy that most herps don't have to be ripped off from their habitats any more. On the other hand, those displays were not promoting respect or knowledge regarding the critters. Everyone had products for sale but I don't recall seeing a single demo or exhibit about care and handling.

The baby beaded lizards were way cute, and so many of them! That was the same guys selling the caiman lizards. I was super shocked that the person I spoke to, the daughter of the big huge guy who owned the business, was really downplaying the fact that they were venomous. There wasn't even a sign or anything. I was asking her about them just to get a sense these guys, and I had to explicitly ask HER, aren't these venomous? There were no locks on all those little babies in the covered dishes -- any of those 5-year-old kids running around could have reached in and grabbed at one, and the babies can bite fast. Right, no one is going to pay $600 not knowing anything about them, no matter how cute, but IMO an expo like that has some obligation to the public or to the field to do some better educating even for the casual browser.

I got a migraine headache being in that room for less than an hour.