Thread: Can you potty train tegus?

Default Can you potty train tegus?

So i have 3 tegus and they do love to walk around the house since it's just me i let them. Now about 6months ago i put newpaper down to see if they would get the idea of "potty here" and they did but i ended up moving and i stoped it for about a month so now that i am in my new place im still setting everything up.
    So the other week i was reading the newpaper put it down on the floor to get something to drink and the black and white caME right over and went potty! They still get it the only thing is in the other house they would start on the news paper for a while then just go where ever they want.

My question u see is can they learn to always go? Do i give them a treat if they go like you would a dog? Can i put somekind of a diper on them? What is the deal i know they know but how do i make it stick in there head?

Thanks margie

Ive trained my tegus to Go in Water Basin which they do anyways. Tegus can be trained in a litter pan. No diaper is needed. But Yes accidents will happen LOL But Just keep trying
    too many tegus But can never say no to the GU

How do you litter box train them? I have one I'm working with to respond to visual signals and sound/vibrations. So far its going well.

The biggest reward that Hernando appreciates is having his mess removed promptly. I'm not kidding. If you use the newspapers then make a big deal of taking them away the minute they get soiled, I'll be they will use them more. It's difficult for us cuz his hours don't match ours, so he'll leave us a giant poop where he knows it's previously disappeared from, then if the staff isn't in there to mop up right away he has a screaming, crying tantrum.

The Colombian tegu i had would crap every night when i put him in the bath tub. The Argentines havent started doing it yet though :/

My beardie is trained to go in the tub. I give her a bath every morning at the same time and she does her business in there without fail. She hasn't gone in her viv or anywhere other than the tub since she was 6 mo old. I am trying to train Toki to do the same. So far she will pee every time I bathe her, but the poo is a hit and miss. IDK if adult tegu's poop more than once a day, but if not you should be able to train them to go in the tub. If I can train a beardie, and they are not as smart as a tegu, then you should be able to train a gu. I think water training is the best because you are basically training them to go on command and if you have them go every morning, then you know you are poop free all day! Woho!!
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

I give mine a bath before I let them roam around or a little while after they ate. They usually poop in the tub. I rinse them of and then let them free roam around. But excidents can happen.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I agree with the tub analogy. My Arg. B&W Jaws gets a warm bath every day (he actually took over the jacuzzi tub in my master bedroom - no one uses it anymore not even the dogs who used to get a bath in there). He used to go only when I actually put him in the water, but eventually he would just go whenever I put him in there (since I also use it for feeding). Now he poops in it every day like clockwork, regardless of what time I feed him, it's as if he refuses to go in his enclosure. He also gets daily outdoor activity and free roaming in my house - he will occasionally urinate or defecate during these times as well but no way will he go in his enclosure...I haven't seen stool in his enclosure in probably 2 months.

Generally, you can tell when they have to 'go' if your able to be around them through most of the day. If so, I take them into the bathroom for easier cleaning. Other than that, my Arg. will always go in the same vicinity. As for my Colombians, I haven't been able to train them when it comes to that but they're easier to tell when they have to go.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I agree with hernandosmom, my hermann tortoise is doing the same thing. He has a low water bowl where he can drink or immerge himself in the water. Tortoise cannot scratch their back, so sometime removing the poo sticked to their vent is pretty hard (especially if it's a male, with their curled up tail (messy)). Getting in the water, is the best place for them to remove and wash everything.

For more information on training with dog clicker, you can use this information, I wrote a couple years ago.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...icker-training.

Good luck
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !