Thread: uromastyx vs. beardies

Default uromastyx vs. beardies

ok, there is a reptile show coming to my area soon, and i'm very excited for it - i have been considering getting either a bearded dragon or a uromastyx for the longest time now.
    i have read up about their care, feeding and lighting needs, but now i cannot decided which would make a better pet.
    any suggestions or advice?

Beardies tolerate handling more and are much easier to care for in my opinion. My uro is a picky eater, but he is also WC. Make sure you get a captive bred uro and not a cheaper WC specimen (a mistake we made and learned from years ago). I adore my uro, but my beardies are much better as pets.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

For handling, Beardie are more tolerant compare to an Uromastyx. But they are still exception (my beardie is pretty aggressive), many people told me that their Uro we're extremely calm and friendly.

Generally, Uromastyx are smaller than Beardie, but you can still get an Egyptian Uromastyx who can grow up to three feet long.

As for feeding, Uromastyx diet is easier to get and you don't need to buy live stock like insects to feed an Uro compare to the Beardie.

Good luck!
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Good points. I do have some of the sweetest beardies and two that I swear are the devil.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

i think the boyfriend and i have decided to eventually have both lol.
    would they ever get along? say one was a male, the other a female, or both females.
    and how many beardies do people usually get? do they need companionship?

No, don't mix them. Uromastyx need a very high basking spot compared to the beardie and yes they might be used together...but it's not a good thing (risk of injury, aggression, dominance).

Beardie don't need companionship. It's preferable for them be alone (Except if you are breeding them).
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I don't keep any of my beardies together. One of my females and my uro can see each other and they gesture toward each other. We're not sure if it's positive or negative. Even my females can dominate each other and one nips the others (as in removing toes).
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

i too have both and they both make awesome pets, but a beardie is a lot easier to care for. my uro is thee friendliest reptile i own(yes even more than the tegus`lol) when im cleaning his enclosure he will climb all over my hand begging to be picked up. he just loves people(i cant imagine him being stressed by handling) my beardie is still fairly young(around 3 mo.) and he is a good boy too he is still skiddish a bit but he dont bite or anything just dont like being picked up!what ever your choice is i wish you the best luck!
    0.1 Black and white ~ Rayne
    1.0 Exterme giant ~ Storm

Once beardies are about 6 months old they calm down and most love to be out of their cage to free roam or just chill on the couch with you. Beware that babies can eat you out of house and home as they will eat about 50 crix a day. If you are thinking about getting one you may want to consider also starting a dubia roach colony. Males will typically go nuts during mating season pacing and stomping, blackbearding etc. My female even went nuts pacing and then wanted to explore every corner of the house. I think she was looking for a mate. LOL HORMONES! But for the most part they are really calm and even if they wanted to bite it really doesn't hurt. Check out some of the great color morphs you can get in these guys. I especially like the yellow ones. They are funny little characters and a great addition to your family. Scorch loves to go for walks with us now that the weather is nice!

She loves to browse the internet!
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby