Thread: Bugs? Flys? Gnats? Moths? Mosquito Hawks?

Default Bugs? Flys? Gnats? Moths? Mosquito Hawks?

Does anyone have an issue with insects in their cages? Any help with flys? or is it just the time here in San Diego, CA? =) Thanks!
    Males:
    Females: Extreme Giant, RedxBlue Tegu, Blue Tegu
    Dogs: Diesel(TimberwolfHybrid) Dozer(PitMix)

Im having the same trouble. Today i got home and saw a bunch of flies all over the place. What could be the reason for that? Could anyone share some input?

Sometimes insects will lay their eggs in the mulch before it's packaged or while it's sitting on the shelf in the store, or in your home. I got bugs on occasion in the early days. Then I started baking the mulch, sprayed with water, before putting it in the enclosure. This killed any bugs or eggs. The only infestation we've had that was spontaneously generated in the terrarium was when a batch of teensy baby crickets all hatched one day. Cute as they were, we tossed out all the substrate and started over. You pretty much have to with bugs, IMO, or they can torment your tegu.

I recommend spot cleaning the enclosure every day or as soon as you see your Tegu poop. If you have any food that you didn't eat or fresh fruits in your kitchend this will bring in the flies ( through the window or doors ). Then when your Tegu poops they will smell that and get into the enclosure. In case your Tegu has the runns I recommend feeding some frozen/thawed rodents. If the stool still doesn't get back to normal your Tegu might have a parasite problem from the bugs in the mulch.

Homemade Flypaper

If you’re tired of spending money on flypaper, consider making your own. Although flypaper isn’t an attractive household accessory, this home remedy for catching flies is extremely effective, and it’s very easy to make.

To make homemade flypaper you’ll need a brown paper bag, scissors, string, and a shallow pan. You’ll also need ½ cup of sweet maple syrup, two tablespoons of brown sugar, and two tablespoons of white sugar. Combine these ingredients in a shallow pan, and cut the brown paper bag into one-inch wide strips. Poke a hole in the top of each strip, and thread a string through each hole. Soak the strips in the sticky mixture for about eight hours. Remove the strips from the mixture, and after they stop dripping, hang them in areas where flies are a problem.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Are mosquito hawks the same as crane flies? Big leggy flying things? We always seem to have bugs here in FL. Right now mosquitoes are awful! I try to change the water frequently. The little black flies might be carrion flies. (?)
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I live in San Diego as well and am having the same problem! Flys are everywhere! so are the mosquito hawks. i think its just that season.. Ive noticed that they come around when its getting warmer.. What I do is use Windex... it makes the flys fall right out of the air and then you can pick them up with a papertowel...

I got little worms that looked like butters or wax worms once. Just gotta get rid of the whole mess and start fresh. Baking sounds like a really good idea though. People bake wood branches and other things to sanitize them before using them, so it makes sense it would work for the substrate as well.
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby