Thread: Anils really sharp?

Default Anils really sharp?

My baby's nails are getting really sharp and he seems to be filing them on his stump but they seem to be getting so much sharper. Is there anything I should be doing/using? Or is a simple claw clipper acceptable?

*Edit* That was supposed to be 'Nails really sharp', not sure how I managed to mess that up.

if it was my tegu i would put a nice sized flat rock in the cage and let it walk around on it so it files the nails itself.
    1.1 EXTREME GIANT TEGU
    1.2 BLACK AND WHITE TEGU
    1.0 RESEVERED EXTREME GIANT

Sometimes I trim just the very sharp tip. I have found that it's not always the sharpness of the nail but they way that they dig in with their claws. Even dull nails can scratch and hurt because of the strong little legs.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I agree with laurarfl about even clipped nails being a potential scratch hazard. We keep our boy's nails clipped out of concern that he may catch the hooks on something and injure himself. It does reduce the arm scratches, but is no reason to let your guard down.

We use the kind of pet nail clippers designed for round nails. This gives a cleaner, more controlled cut than the human kind. There are different sizes available in a well-supplied pet store and we bought the very smallest ones.

Cut only the tip. If you hold the nail up to the light, you should be able to see inside where the nerve ends. Avoid cutting the nerve. The very first time you trim, there may be a tiny drop of blood. Have a syptic stick (what your grandfather used when he shaved) available just in case. If you cut too close, into living tissue, there would be LOTS of blood. If this happens and it doesn't stop soon, I would go to a vet. That would only happen if you had a bad accident, but I wanted to warn you to be careful. We hold him in a pillowcase with just one limb out, and wait until he is calm and sleepy before we do nails (usually after a bath).

Trimming the tip of the nail is generally the best approach. The flat rock method takes longer to work
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)