Thread: How many times do they lay eggs?

Question How many times do they lay eggs?

My boyfriend and I are very much in love with our tegu and we've been looking online a lot about breeding information and a lot of it is conflicting. One site even said that if they're born in a different hemi-sphere that you can't breed them in the USA. It sounded like a load but now I'm curious. I've seen adds in Spring and been told that more were coming in late September/October. Do they lay once a year or twice?

Also, I read somewhere that having more males increases the fertility of the females, is there any truth to that?

they can and do breed in the US
    they usaly lay once a year
    and i have no idea about the more males thing
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

The conflict you may be finding about breeding in the U.S. is part of an argument based on whether or not Tegus have to hibernate in order to breed. Many breeders will say there has to be a proper hibernation throughout the winter in order to start the female into her cycle and therefore produce a viable batch of eggs. If you have a wild caught, or farm raised, south of the hemisphere tegu than he/she may be on an opposite internal hibernation schedule then us up here in the U.S. (our winters are their summers). It simply means it might take a few years for them to adjust to hibernating on our time.

So, if you're interested in possibly breeding tegus, attain your tegus from captive bred sources here in the U.S. Not only is it better; clean, no parasites, direct contact with the breeder, supporting our economy, etc., but their internal clocks will already be established within our hemisphere. Many wholesale and retail tegus (the ones available at reptile shows) are being farm raised in South America and then being sent North.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

But...reputable retailers sell captive bred tegus...Tom Crutchfield, Glades Herp, Seigel. If they have one or two tegus then they are likely cb, if they have a caboodle and didn't hatch them out, then I'd ask about them. At any rate, a good retailer will know the stock of their animals. Glades Herp had a B/W and knew it was from Bert's stock and Ben Seigel knew where his tegu came from, etc. I really don't think Tom sells tegus.

Hibernation stimulates the hormone cycle but some have said their tegus bred without having hibernated.

Lilwyhunter covered the hemispheric change pretty well. You may be seeing ads from people who have farms of tegus and have tegus breeding year round. It may not be from the same animal per se.

Breeding tegus is interesting I must say. This is my first year. You don't know how rough the male is going to be and if he is going to scar up the female or break the end of her tail. Right now the female that laid is a meanie butt and is still charging through the glass at times. She was already territorial but now she is a lot of fun to work with. I'm trying to get weight back on her and I have the glass front of her cage covered because she is scratching her claws down to nothing. When I take her out she acts very nervous. The good thing is that if you have a baby now, you'll have 2 or 3 years to prepare for the breeding aspects.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks guys, you've been super helpful! It astounds me every time I post a question just how quickly I get detailed responses from knowledgeable people.It's good to know in advance what I'm going to need to do, especially since I'm just starting to plan out my final tanks. So far I only have the plans laid out for the main tank, not the pregnant lady tank or the kiddy tank, though I do know I'm going to eventually use the 55 gallon tank for breeding/any juvies I get attached to.

Sorry to burst your bubble dear, but a 55 gallon tank is not anywhere close to enough room for breeding much less even a juvenile tegu. Each adult should have atleast a 4x3 enclosure minimum. The 55's are nice, for fish, but really useless for most large reptiles, there just isn't enough floor space. If tegus were arboreal you could work with a 55, but if you're concentrating on just tegus...that 55 gallon is pretty pointless.....

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons

Then whoever told me it was a 55 gallon was mistaken. It's 4x3x3 tank. What's that then?

Too big to be measured in gallons, but perfect

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons

That's a relief, thanks