Thread: My beardie won't let me pick him up

Hybrid View

Default My beardie won't let me pick him up

My bearded dragon, Gomek, is now around 16'' and he has had this problem where he won't let me pick him up. He is not aggressive in any way, he just tries to escape from my hand. He starts this little ''squirming'' episode. He mostly does it when I take him out of his tank to eat his crickets. Then, when I go to put him back in the tank, he tries to jump out of my hand into the tank. I'm worried he will get hurt doing this, because I don't like him landing hard onto his rock when he jumps out of my hand.

Any advice?
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

You are like Godzilla for Gomek maybe (sorry, but the size difference between you and him)
    I think he feels some fear against you or it's only his instinct

Some lizards are so sensitive and shy
    Beardies get used to the keepers with regular handling I think

How long you have kept him so far?

Its been a few years since I last had a beardie, but mine did that when I first got him, he stopped after a few months. I used to pick him up in the cage and just let him walk from one hand to the other while still in the cage this seemed to help.

Why do you take him out for feeding? I think he will feel much more secure if he could stay in his enclosure. If you don't want crickets in the enclosure why don't you use a tong?

I think he will calm down in time. I would suggest just lifting him up once in a while. He doesn't have to leave the enclosure, just lift him up while he's still inside and hold him for a little while. Don't do it to often, nothing more than once a week. Good luck.

I take him out for feeding for a few reasons. One is so that he won't ingest sand with his crickets. Another is so that the crickets can't hide in the tank and chew on him. And the last is so he doesn't think every time my hand enters the tank that it's feeding time, so he doesn't become aggressive.
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223