Thread: new ExoTerra Solar Glo test results are sub par

Hybrid View

Default new ExoTerra Solar Glo test results are sub par

The following is a post in its entirety from a UV bulb testing group. Frances is part of the uvguide.co.uk website that is so widely referenced for UV lamp information. They tested the new Solar Glo bulbs since the bulb has been changed and the results are very disappointing. A full report will be sent to the manufacturer and posted on their uvguide website soon. The also have some interesting results on specific brands of compact lamps.

"Here are some key meter results from the tests I've recently completed on ExoTerra Solar Glo lamps with externally frosted glass (ie. the outside of the front of the bulb has a soft matt texture like ground-glass, and if you wet it with a damp finger it becomes more see-through (when not in use, of course!)

My memory must be having problems at the moment. I have tested six of these, not four as I said on Thursday, ..because Rolf C Hagen sent me two of each type, and Dawn sent me one of each.

125-watt lamps:
    Lamp 1: Purchased Oct-Nov 2009 by Dawn C., unused, and sent to me in March 2010.
    Total UVB after burning-in (105hrs):
    10 ins: 232 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 160 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 70 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 8.8
    12 ins: 6.1
    18 ins: 2.5
    This lamp was operating at 115 watts.

Lamp 2:Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010, stated to be "new product"
    10 ins: 40 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 29 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 13 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 0.9
    12 ins: 0.6
    18 ins: 0.3
    This lamp was operating at 136 watts.

Lamp 3:Sent by Rolf C Hagen in March 2010, stated to be "new product"
    10 ins: 35 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 25 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 12 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 0.9
    12 ins: 0.6
    18 ins: 0.2
    This lamp was operating at 141 watts.

160-watt lamps:
    Lamp 1: Purchased Sept 2009 by Dawn C., used for about 100hrs, and sent to me in March 2010
    Total UVB after about 100hrs:
    10 ins: 90 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 64 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 29 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 3.5
    12 ins: 2.5
    18 ins: 1.0
    This lamp was operating at ONLY 115 watts - although 160W was stamped on the lamp itself, so it is not one that "got in the wrong box".

10 ins: 75 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 55 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 26 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 2.0
    12 ins: 1.4
    18 ins: 0.7
    This lamp was operating at 173 watts.

Total UVB after 1hour (I have not burned-in this lamp):
    10 ins: 43 uW/cm2
    12 ins: 31 uW/cm2
    18 ins: 15 uW/cm2
    UV Index:
    10 ins: 0.8
    12 ins: 0.5
    18 ins: 0.2
    This lamp was operating at 159 watts.

Spectra:
    The 125W lamp purchased by Dawn in October-November 2009 was presumably manufactured before the change in specs - it is very different - the only one with what I would describe as a "good" spectrum. It has no un-natural short-wavelength UVB below 295nm and a good spectrum for a mercury vapour lamp, with a small peak at 297nm and larger peaks at longer wavelengths still.
    None of the other lamps had any UVB below 300nm, in fact hardly anything below 313nm. This is why they give such very low readings with the meters, of course.

I am about to write a full report for ExoTerra/Rolf C Hagen. I will be interested to hear their comments. These are very disappointing results. A high-quality UVB fluorescent tube such as an Arcadia D3+ 12% or a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube can have a UV Index reading between 0.7 - 1.0 at 12" after burning-in -which is better than two of these mercury vapour lamps with the new specifications!

But there is still Darren's lamp with the inner coating, unaccounted for... Maybe the company has discovered the problem already and the lamp Darren received is supposed to be a better replacement???
    I expect we'll know more soon...

Frances"
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I've been using two Solar Glo bulbs for my bearded dragon. I haven't noticed anything bad happening to him. Should I spend the extra money on a Zoo Med Powersun instead?
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

I'm by no means an authority and I have a Zoo Med Powersun 160w bulb for my new enclosure but that's only because the 160w Mega Rays from reptileuv.com were on backorder and I needed a bulb. The Mega Rays are less money and from what everyone says better than any other bulb. I think the T-Rex bulbs are also good and I read somewhere they were developed by the same guy who made Mega Ray. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should invest in some type of "daylight" bulb 6500K or better with a reflector hood to increase the visual light output especially if you don't take your tegu outside regularly. The fact that natural light produces literally 50,000 times more LUX than can be found in some people's vivs could possibly be why some reptiles have eye problems.

Also, I could be wrong but the UVB output on the first bulb you listed looks pretty decent laurarfl...

Sorry, let me explain....

The Solar Glo bulbs have been redesigned and the coating has been changed, this affecting the UVB output. Lamp 1 was the older Solar Glo and they test fine. The new bulbs such as Lamp 2 are not performing very well. I believe the newer lamps have an external coating with a matte like effect.

BoxTurtle, that depends on the type of SolarGlo you have and personal choice.

Rhyno, I buy PowerSuns for about $35-$37, which I think is quite a bit cheaper than MegaRay....not sure though.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Yeah I paid $54.00 for my powersun and just saw it on reptilesupply.com for $46.95 The Mega Ray 160w is $46.95 from reptileuv.

Reptilesupply usually has them cheaper. Pet mountain (is that the name?) also has them cheaper.

But $47 for a MegaRay is pretty good. They used to be $60. I didn't realize the price had come down...thanks for the info!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets