Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Escaped Tegu Stories

Post Escaped Tegu Stories

Hi everyone. I thought I start a thread about some escaped Tegu stories. It would be nice if you could post your escaped Tegu story here. This way other members who have a Tegu that just escaped or maybe will escape one day, can learn some tricks on where to look and how to get them out of the hiding place. Like with stinky food. Like fresh fish filets or hard boiled eggs or have a basking spot set up.
    I would like to thank everyone who will share their story with us.
    If you are someone who lost a Tegu I want to wish you the best. May everything turn out well.
    Last edited by txrepgirl; 05-18-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Well. The other day I let Zeus ( our adult Argentine b/w Tegu ) free roam around in our bedroom. I wasn't out of the room for long. When I came back Zeus was no where to be found. I looked under the dresser, night stand, inside the bed. Well the last place I looked for him was the laundry basket. I didn't think he would be in there because the laundry looked like the way I left it. I figured if he would be in there some of the laundry would be on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOz0lV-eWbM
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I have lost three seperate tegus, the first was my columbian tegu who escaped his bin about 3 yrs ago, i found him tunneled in the arm of my counch he had been missing nearly a week. the second was nero who repeatedly escaped her old enclosure, she always went right into my attic and burrow in the insulation, the first time i had spent a night out and came home to find she had pushed the top of her tank and escaped, i searched the whole house, when i searched the attic as i was turning over stuff i could hear her moving around, needless to say she was in there and i got her out safely she has escaped numerous times since and this is always were she is found! the worst case of a missing tegu i have had was with achilles, when he was smaller i let him free roam with nero and left the room for a second when i had came back he had squeezed under the door, i couldnt find him nor ould i see him but i could hear him, finnally i pin pointed his location, he had somehow got behind the wall, i had to tear down a whole wall to get him out, luckily it was just one of those thin boards so i easily put it right back, i always relied on sounds from movement to locate my tegus! when i get my 10' baby from bobby im making sure i dont loose him lol!
    0.1 Black and white ~ Rayne
    1.0 Exterme giant ~ Storm

Wow those are some scary stories. I'm happy to hear that you found all of them. I would of been so scared. One day my boyfriend and I cam home and Leonidas wasn't in his enclosure. We looked around every where. We found him in the kitchen behind the fridge. I had some small screwd in security things on the screen top that you just push to the side to open the top. He was so strong that they poped out lol. This is how he got out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...49/JV_Kvqt4Drg

Oh. I almost forgot this one. One day my baby male blue/red hybrid Tegu was missing. He was so small I didn't think he would be able to get out of the 150 gallon enclosure. I found him next to my desk in the trash can sleeping lol. The enclosure is next to my desk. So he must of climbed from the enclosure on top of my desk and then jump down into the trash can lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...25/-bh_ZyHR0IE

Our videos :

Toki escaped her temporary enclosure when we first got her. The cage was on the counter. She managed to jump to the top of the cage, squeeze through the lid, jump off the counter and get twenty feet away under a couch. I had no problem finding her though. My dogs weren't used to her yet, so they got very agitated when she got out and where chewing on the couch trying to get to her. When I got home I had one cold and frightened tegu and one ruined leather sofa. LOL. Toki still gets upset when the dogs bark. Maybe a little post traumatic stress? When she gets bigger those two little rats are going to be in big trouble because she will be able to chase them under the couch! haha
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

Ahh your poor baby... thank goodness my little man hasnt tryed to do anything like that i have a lock on his cage...
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS-LIZARD View Post
    Toki escaped her temporary enclosure when we first got her. The cage was on the counter. She managed to jump to the top of the cage, squeeze through the lid, jump off the counter and get twenty feet away under a couch. I had no problem finding her though. My dogs weren't used to her yet, so they got very agitated when she got out and where chewing on the couch trying to get to her. When I got home I had one cold and frightened tegu and one ruined leather sofa. LOL. Toki still gets upset when the dogs bark. Maybe a little post traumatic stress? When she gets bigger those two little rats are going to be in big trouble because she will be able to chase them under the couch! haha
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

Jabba (our 18" blue tegu) was having his free roam time and I was on my computer because he likes hiding behind the couch for the most part so I was listening to him. It was getting late and Corey (my fiance) went to bed so I went to pull him out of the futon, his fav place to hide since he realized he could climb INSIDE instead of just behind it. Nowhere to be found. I pulled out the clothes I'd left in there for him to climb around, nothing, tore up the room, checked the fridge that was blocked off (but god only knows, he might find a way around it someday) like 10 times. Nothing.

I gave up and asked Corey to wake up and help me search while I fixed him a scrambled egg to draw him out. 5 minutes after I put his bowl down, we're still looking and he just reappears in the futon. Still don't know where he was. Nothing was torn up, nowhere he could have fit was scratched or anything and the couch has no missing bits either.

Well today my big 50 inch male got out of his out door enclosure and was down my street about 150 yards from my house roaming the neighbor hood. Luckily my neighbor saw it and came over and got me. Now he is safe in his cage.
    1.1 EXTREME GIANT TEGU
    1.2 BLACK AND WHITE TEGU
    1.0 RESEVERED EXTREME GIANT

Tesgura. That is strange. I would like to know, too, where he was hiding . I'm glad you found him. Tegus are like little kids. You never know what they are going to get into next.

TEGU-JAKE. WOW. That is one scary story. I'm glad nothing happend to him while he was roaming around in the neighborhood. Good thing your neighbor knows about him and saw him that day.

Our videos :

My tegu, Jaws (around 29") would definitely have escaped today if I didn't have him on a harness. He nearly got out of the harness anyway and scared the crap out of me with his antics. I was taking him outside for his daily roaming, basking, and digging activities while I was getting my cars washed by 2 guys. This is part of my routine and he does this daily with no incidents. Today, however, one of the guys washing my cars came up to hand me something and I took my eye off him for no more than 30 seconds. I turned back and he was walking away from me really quickly with his mouth open (trying to look tough!!) and was obviously extremely agitated by something. I don't know if he was scared of this other dude or what - but I went to try to "guide" him with the harness back to me and he wasn't having it. He flipped out like a maniac, jumped up and did several mid-air barrel rolls, tried to run into two separate sets of bushes, I had to drag him out of both kicking and hissing - I didn't want to yank him too hard with the harness and hurt him so I was kinda hoping that he would just calm down on his own but it wasn't happening. Then I got him in the house and he was still pissed off but calmed down completely within about 1 minute. I feel guilty because I shouldn't have let my guard down but he totally took me by surprise and he really freaked those guys out! He hasn't pulled something like this on me in a long time and certainly not since he's been this size. Can anyone recommend a good LEASH for a sub-adult tegu? Right now I have him on an iguana harness that I've had since he was much smaller but I don't trust it anymore.