Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Escaped Tegu Stories

So I just happened to be at PetCo the other day, and I wandered into the dog section, looking at harnesses and leashes. I found one that's meant for a very small dog (it was marked as an "X-Small"), but I think would be great for an adult tegu. Nice and sturdy, comfortable materials, build wide like a vest, instead of narrow straps... I don't know, you might want to go that route and look at harnesses made for small dogs.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I believe that this was the one I had seen:

http://www.petco.com/product/110074/...t=OnSiteSearch
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

I'm using a ferret harness for my adult Tegus. I love it because it has the velcro on it. I had the small dog harness before and it was a pain in the butt to keep adjusting the strap.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=14945
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I saw 2 other threads below this thread, but wasn't sure which one to post in, sorry if this is the wrong one =P

When I went to pick up my new Columbian, I filled the bathtub with warm water about shoulder height and let the Tegu chill out, and more swim around to tire her out and attempt to calm her down for the hour car ride. My friend insured me that the Tegu cannot get out once in the tub.. Well I go to check on it, and the thing is on the edge of the tub making an escape.. Like a fool I hurry to it and try and grab it. I tried to catch her in mid air, she whips around and bites me in the knuckle, takes off for the door then right as she is there breaks left for an open register. *clunk clunk clunk Tegu is now in the vents. I rush to turn the a/c off (luckily its not winter time)... So we head in the basement trying to hear her moving around.. Now most duct work is put together with tons of screws that are just sticking out on the other side.. So I figured she was just getting mangled.. We hear her in the furnace (more sharp sheet metal) so we take the thing apart.. Fearing the worst, we open it up and he/she is just fine. Scared and ready to come out.

If I learned anything, it is to check every possible Tegu-accessible entry/exit and just anything they can get hurt on when attempting a jailbreak.. This one was under a stool so I didn't see it right away, so make sure to triple check everything!
    Last edited by iclownn; 08-25-2010 at 09:16 PM.

God that must have been terrifying! I'm glad your Columbian was alright and everything turned out ok.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

OMG. I would of freaked out. I'm very happy to hear that all turned out well. It's OK if you ever post a post under a wrong thread. The Mods or Admins can always move it . We are not that strict lol . Thank you for posting your story.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Sheesh, we've had our tegus less than a month, and I've already got my first escapee...

So as you know, we've got an All American (Oscar) and a B/W (Bozski) tegu. They're both hatchlings. Anyway, yesterday I thawed out some pinkies for them to eat, as I saw they were both awake and basking. When I went back in to get them, only Bozski was out; Oscar had buried himself back into their hide. It's totally normal for him to do this, so I figured I'd feed him later. Since he was buried, I didn't bother latching the door shut when I got Bozski out, just closed it, as I figured he was gonna be there for a while. So after feeding and snuggling Bozski for a bit, I put him back in the enclosure to bask off the food coma. Oscar never came out for the rest of the day, but I didn't think anything about it, as so many people's hatchlings are starting to slow down for the change of season.

Anyway, today, as I was getting one of our beardies settled in from her Vet visit, I walked into our bedroom to get something. I was greeted by the site of something scaly and fast rapidly scurrying under our bed. I'm not ashamed to say that I jumped a little. I immediately went to check on our other beardie, Spaz, as she's VERY wily, and a master of escaping.

She was chilling in her cage.

Back into the bedroom I went, equipped with a flashlight, and started pulling the boxes out from under the bed, all the while keeping an eye out for whatever it was that was hiding under there. All at once, I caught a glimpse of a tell-tale ringed tail.

*insert mental facepalm here*

So much wiggling and finagling later, I returned a rather dusty and squirmy Oscar back to his enclosure, where he promptly flopped down in the basking area.

I would like to mention here, that Bozski and Oscar's enclosure is in our bedroom, on top of my dresser. Who knows how he managed to make the "climb" down.
    Last edited by nordica; 10-01-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Zilla has two big escape stories to his credit. The first he some how broke through the glass and shattered it all over the floor. he wasn't hurt. The second he clawed thru some really tough hardware cloth.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Jeebus!! No wonder he's named "Zilla"!!

to make it even more epic he made little footprints in the glass (It was really smashed so if you pushed on it it would leave an imprint)
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)