Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Escaped Tegu Stories

Wow, that's pretty darn impressive.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I look at him and sometimes think "...he's every bit as awesome as he thinks he is". I think he does have an ego
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

And you're just feeding into it.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Wow those are two scary stories. I'm glad the Tegus are all OK. One time our male blue/red hybrid ( Spatzi ) got out of the enclosure. Him and his sister were still small and I didn't think they could get out of the 150 gallon tank. It has sliding screen tops. They are kind of hard to open up. I didn't see him in the enclosure so I started to look for him. I had that enclosure next to my office desk. Somehow he got out of the enclosure, got unto my desk and jumped down into the trash can ( it just was a clean one. Well it did had some tisue in it ). He was deep asleep when I found him lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...34/-bh_ZyHR0IE
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

When Dio was only a month or so old, we decided that it was probably time to move him to a bigger enclosure (out of the 29 gal he was in). We set up a HUGE 55 gallon long rubber tote and he instantly learned how to clumb up to his basking spot and up the next 6 inches out over the top, even though we had covered it with screen for the lamps. I still have no idea how he got around the screen, we found him cold and in the shoe closet eating spiders presumably. I felt so embarrassed that he got out.

I also had a bullfrog tadpole that decided to "jump tank" this summer while he still had about an inch of tail. I couldnt find him anywhere, and I had to go to work, I felt so bad I thought he would dry up in the house so I left a shallow tupperware of water on the floor and when I got home later he was sitting right next to it as planned! I felt soo proud of myself for thinking of that.

I'm glad to see there are no serious horror stories on here with bad endings!
    1.0.0 B&W Argentine Tegu (Dio)
    1.1.0 Crested geckos (re homed)
    0.1.0 Tartar Sand Boa(re homed)
    0.1.0 Axolotl (Smaug)
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat (Dippy)
    Madagascar Hissing roaches

ok quick story, about a year ago im at work and when i look at my phone i had like 5 missed calls from home,1 voice mail from home, and a few missed from my girl friend. so i made some phone calls...mom says,'i was vacuming the hall way and when i opened the door to ur room that damn lizard ran arcoos the room and i ran the other way." lol,haha i wish i saw ur reaction to this.

.i couldn't leave work so i my mom like booby trapped the door to my room so no one can get in or out. i get home from work and found jada in my closet behind a bunch of boxes. didnt look like he hurt himself or anything. i remeber i had him out that morhing before work,and though i forgot to lock the door or his cage. now that was friday. so i put him back in the cage and close the doors. ok so saturday morning i wake up to jada under the lights...go down to eat and get some coffee, come up to my room, and BAM, i see this thing run acroos the room. i gotta say it scared me for a sec, i was like, wat the heck is that. that was jada getting out again. he was under the bed no harm no foul. i know the cage was locked. so he know how to get out and is strong enough to do it.

i was gonna go get some more locks that day but being me,i put it off. jada didnt get out that day....Sunday, same thing,wake up,jada under lights, go get food and coffee. come up to my room...this time he didnt run. he got out again..and didnt care who came to the door. kinda funny. i put my coffee down and went out to get some locks. as im installing them,with him in his tank he goes for the escape. man is this thing smart and strong. i took a video of it on my phone(gotta see if i can upload it).

so my cage is 6ft long, with two 3ft door,and i dumb *** only put 1 lock on each door, in the middle. the siade of the door had some free play and he was strong enough to get his head or body far enough to poop the door open and take the locks off.....know there's 6 locks total, and i haven't seen him try to escape.

sooo......if u think theres enough locks add 2 or 3 more.

Default escape

my escape story is not very elaborate but sure surprised me. the day i brought my columbian home from the expo i placed him in his glass enclosure. i turned around to get his water bowl and placed it in his cage. he just simply jumped on my hand ran up my arm across my shoulder and leaped for freedom! all this in less than 2 seconds. my whole family was standing right there and it was so fast no one even moved. well, he hit the ground running and was finally caught in the middle of the kitchen floor.

I have an escape artist that is beginning to drive me nuts. Last weekend, my husband came home and saw Kreacher, my adult female B/W, basking by the side of the driveway. He was able to pick her up and we were going crazy trying to figure out what happened. Apparently she had busted the back seam on her Neodesha cage, dropped down about 5ft or crawled on something, then moseyed on out the garage door for some sunshine. Geez, my neighbors on the other side would have pooped their pants if they had seen her out there.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

my tegus have never gotten out of their enclosure, mind you I have come down to see Dezie had opened his glass doors but he was basking so I guess he figured why bother! Dezie has his free roam time in the bathroom and I would often put him in there while I showered or got ready in the morning. One day I was sitting in there doing some homework, he was able to hook his nail under the furnace vent and life it up. He often scratched at it when it was not on I think he thought it would turn on the heat as he loves lying on the vent when it is blowing! Well this one day he managed to get the vent right out of the floor and he crawled half way down the vent before I realized what he had done and I was thankfully able to pull him back out. I have now duct taped my vents cause what on earth would we have done?!?! Obviously I would have torn down all my duct work but my hubby seems to differ!
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Just Yesterday i was on my way home from work around 4 pm and i get a call from my roommate (who is deathly afraid of my reptiles) She told me that about 1 pm she was walking down the hallway and standing at the opposite end was Shredder my 4 ft Tegu. Shredder took off thru the kitchen and into the living room. I get home to find her sleeping under the couch. When i picked her up, she had this look on her face like "dang, you caught ,me!" She stays in an 8ft by 3 ft by 2.5 ft cage and somehow, she pushed the plexi glass out of the tracks and slid under to escape... Sneaky Girl!...