Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new baby:)

awh thanks
    im concerned tho ever since ive brought him/her home all she/he does is sleep in her/his hide lol this is gettin akward:P
    im wonderin is thsi just coz its (better way of sayin it) gettin used to its new house?
    advise please

I think he's getting used to his house and in my experience, Colombians hide more and bask less than the Argentines. My big B/W's and red will stay out for the better part of the daylight hours, but both of my Colombians are only up for a couple of hours in the morning. I've had my female Colombian for years...since she was months old and she's always been like that.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

awh rite
    is there naythin special about black and gold tegus?
    like anythin definite?
    i nearly had a revalation today i had him out and was holding him for like 5 or 10 mins and he wasnt moving
    but then he started movin and once i tried to get him back into my hands again he wasnt pleased:P
    but still nice to see some progress

Give it some time. Keep holding him or you can use the T-shirt trick I used ( and still do on my two babies ) on all of my Tegus. It helped a lot to tame them down.

Argentine v. Columbian

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-vs.-Argentine

Shirt trick :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...16/XVyU44yDH4E
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

yeah
    im gonna jkeep tryin dont worry about that
    so to do the tshirt trick i just pick him up inside a tshirt and hold him close to me

Black and gold tegus are a color variation of the T. teguixin. I have one that is black and white and one that is almost all black. Some have a lot of yellow/gold. It's just preference, but they are Colombians so all the info and care will apply.

Congrats on your progress!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

lol not sure how much progress ive made:P:P
    dya think i shud start taking him out again now?
    he was out of the tank when i came home from work yday so he does like being out just not been taken out i guess

If he doesn't like to be picked up but wants out of the cage you can try making a ramp out of wood for him to climb out, or even better, place your hand and arm flat like a ramp with a hoodie on and he may choose to climb up you to get out. I did this with my tegu and now when I put my hand in her cage she just jumps right on to be taken out.
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

awh good idea
    altho the ramp might be a bit difficult the viv is on top of my beardie viv:P:P
    i dont think hell be interested but ill try
    any other suggestions?

You can try what I did in the video below and see if it works. If he takes off just leave your hand in the enclosure without moving it. He will calm down after a while and maybe come up to you to smell you. Yes, you can put him in between the shirts and just put your hand on him and don't move. If he seems relaxed then try to slowly and gently rub his neck ( mine love that ) or his back. Don't go to the tail. One of my babies ( Shakespeare ) seems to get scared when I get to close to his tail. If he starts to arch up ( like a mad cat ) then just put your hand on him again and hold him. I do recommend having a T-shirt on and then a Hoody. I just had two T-shirts on the other day ( and not a Hoody ) and one of my babies climbed out of the arm part. That scared me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl#p/u/8/UscbESzNseg
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl