Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress!

Red face Progress!

I've been trying all the many ways posted on The Tegu to get my blue to start opening up to me for the past month and a half now. It's only yesterday that I tried the pillow trick and it worked. I tried what was posted (put a pillow over him and then pick him/her up) but as mine just loves to scamper away in the enclosed area we have for him, it didn't work.

Instead I left a pillow case out and propped open with a few candles since he loves to explore and when he climbed in I picked him up and started petting him.

He's already caught on and has been let out to continue playing after which he will return to his pillow case to be petted and loved and today I let him out to eat and the first thing after he ate was go straight for his case. I'm just so happy something worked and I wanted to share it with you all and also offer an alternate method to anyone who is having trouble.

I do confess, I was getting a bit concerned about my own skills (or lack thereof) when he bit me the first time a few days ago but since then he's really turned around and opened up.

Hey, that's great news. Congratulations and thanks for posting the helpful variation. I would add, for any newbies reading this, it's probably not a good idea to light the candles, at least not until your tegu is more mature and settled down. ;-D

Don't worry that a month seems so long. Every tegu is different. These people who post videos of their brand new tegu popping out of their shipping crate, kissing them on the cheek, and snuggling up under their chin the minute they get home... those are lucky people who got their tegus from a breeder who takes the time to pre-tame his babies before shipping. The good news is that you will have a tegu bonded to you and you will also have the satisfaction of nurturing that relationship from the very beginning.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing. It is so nice to hear when someone makes progress towards a good relationship with their tegu. Every minute is worth the results.
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

That is great news! I like to see posts of different ways to handle tegus since different things work for different people. Sometimes I'm so hesitant to post my handling techniques because I rarely do the same twice and it really depends on the particular animal. I want to help people but I can't really say, "Oh, you know, just do what ever seems right and it'll all work out." lol. I have a green ig I'm trying to tame and it's so frustrating because I'm looking for that secret that everyone uses that will instantly work for me, too. Unfortunately, it just doesn't exist.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm just glad he's finally a little calmer. He's still rambunctious and doesn't like being taken OUT of his tank to begin with, but I'm just so happy!

And to clarify, I don't light the candles, I just use them to keep the pillow case open.

And the best part is, today he went even father! I've been holding him down gently to keep him calm (palming his back since he goes spazzy and thrashes sometimes when he's scared) and after I did that with a glove he knows on my hand he calmed down and climbed on my hand to be let out! I'm finally doing something right!

And to top off our day he let me pet him bare handed, though his did nip when I held him like I was going to take him out (I don't think he wanted to come out again) and he started nodding off on his basking rock while I petted him. Today was productive, can't wait till tomorrow.

Yeah, I remember the first time I saw Hernando walk up his Papa's arm. It was such a breakthrough! I was beginning to think it would never be possible.

They never perform like predictable little monkeys, but those moments when you know they're getting to know and not fear you, those are precious.

Sounds like daily progress. Before you know it he'll be a darling and you will have a hard time remembering all the struggle. lol
    Toki Tegu
    Scorch Dragon
    Nadine Columbian Boa
    2 Herb freak Teenagers & 1 Beardie loving Hubby

I'm so glad to hear that you found something that works for you . It would be great if you could make a video of it so you can pass the trick on to others. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Please keep us posted.

HernandosMom. I'm not sure but it feels like you are talking about my videos I posted on youtube. I don't want to be rude but the only reason why the hatchlings were so calm is because they were cold and they like the warmth of the body. They don't come tamed down. With as many babies as the breeders have I don't think they have the time to tame down each one of the babies. I do put some work into taming down my Tegus. Venus is still calm but Shakespeare is very skittish now. He has been since he came out of hibernation.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl