Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Bloated B&W

Default HELP!! Bloated B&W

I have a 4 year old B&W Tegu. He hasnt pooped in awhile (2 weeks). He has labored breathing and seems very uncomfortable. He is housed outside here in central FL. Temps have been in and around 90's (air temps) he basks in the sun regularly. His diet has been grnd turkey mixed with mixed veggied and fruits and F/T mice and rats. (whatever my snakes dont eat).

I have been soaking him the past 2 days and all that i have gotten out of him was some pee. although today he seemed to fart or realease some gas (stinky). Should I just keep him on the routine of saokings? Is there something he might eat that would help this along? Please let me know :cry:

Thank you,

Scott

bugs (Roaches) should help, also I would keep soaking him...sorry thats all I know on this, wish I could help more
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

I read in another post that pumkin could be fed.....is somehting i should try. ANYONE?

I would definitely get him into your Vet, and sooner rather than later. He might have eaten something outside that's hurting or blocking his poor little insides. It's always better to be safe than sorry...
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

SO I let him soak up some of the fl sun for about an hour this morning...his body temp was about 100....and he made a little poop nothing major but it is something actually it was 2 small ones.....and then i soaked him and got a little more.....going to just keep going whit this .....since the last 2 wets in my area were pretty much useless and one lead to my snakes dimise

Hi Scott. When your Tegu is trying to poop does he look like my female Tegu in the video below ? If yes he is probably impacted. I recommend taking him to the vet and get a Xray done to see how big the object is. If your Tegu is impacted for a while now the organs could of shifted. This can make your Tegu breath hard. Some Tegus eat rock to help them digest things. Since he is outside maybe he ate a rock or a few small ones and he couldn't pass them through. You can give him the baths and put some cod liver oil into some baby food. If he is impacted you don't want to give him any solid food and make things worse. The cod liver oil ( just a few drops of it ) will lubricate the intestine and help the object to pass through better. Also if he is impacted I would keep a eye on the vent. A impaction can cauze a prolapse. Either way I would try to take him to a vet. Even if you have to drive a little further to find a good vet.

Was the poop solid or runy ? Since it has that very bad smell I think he could have a parasite problem. Tegus can be bloated when they have parasites. I would take him to the vet and get a stool sampel done.

How often do you feed him the f/t rodents ? If you just feed to much of the turkey/chicken meat or eggs and some other things that has a lot of protine in it he might be getting to much of the protine.

This is the video of my female powder blue/red hybrid Tegu when she was impacted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgir...23/kBEoZOxVxQI
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

It sounds like a possible impaction. I would hold off on bugs because of the chitin, and rodents because of the hair. Try ground turkey mixed with a tablespoon of pumpkin and a teaspoon of mineral oil. Also, feed him fruits which will provide soluble/insoluble fiber and water for hydration. Keep adding calcium to whatever doesn't have bones. Calcium insufficiency can slow down gut motility since it affects muscle action.

I've always had good success with Dr. Diaz on Lakemont and 436.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

SO I am continuing to soak and then sun him.....gave him some babyfood with cod liver oil....no pumkin i guess there is somethign worng with the cans and it has been pulled off the shelves. I gave gotten more small water poop from him...i will see about vet if by tomorrow its not better.

Hello ReptilesRevealed, I had a similar problem with my tegu...I believe you may have read the pumpkin suggestion from something I posted in a thread a while ago. I heard that pumpkin was a sort of natural laxative for reptiles... However, when I went to the stores, no place had it.. It appears that it is only on the shelves in the Fall. Thats what the employee told me.. Canned pumpkin that is...

Anyway, around the time I went to get the pumpkin, my tegu started to go to the bathroom on his own.. I think it was because it was the end of Winter and he was becoming miore active. Also, I changed his basking bulb. That may of had something to do with it. However, your tegu gets natural sun.

I think that even though my tegu did not hibernate, he definitely slowed down for a while. Then when he started to become more active, he started to go to the bathroom Basically, like your situation, it kind of worked out on it's own.

Rob

you can get pumkin baby food
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret