Thread: New Tegu Introduction?

Default New Tegu Introduction?

I've been thinking about getting a friend for Jabba but I was wondering about the best/safest way to introduce a pair a tegus. I've only been able to find one post about a trio being introduced in the bath.

I know I can be kinda anal when it comes to planning things out but I'm really determined to make things safe and conducive to a happy & healthy tegu environment. I think it's served me so far since Jabba is already fairly well trained after only 2 months.

I believe that the best way to introduce one Tegu, to another is a neutral ground, since they are territorial beings. They also (obviously) have to be relatively the same size, so as to reduce the amount of aggression, IMO. Keep an eye on them, and see how well they react with each other, but wear gloves, as things could become a little heated.

If you're thinking about housing them together as well, completely clean out the cage, and put down new substrate and re arrange things so both Tegus are coming into a new ground, where one hasn't established it's domain. Hopefully everything turns out, and they soon begin to do things together, such as bask, and enjoy life. lol. Hope this has helped, my answer was completely based off of what I've previously read.

(This information was quoted from a previous thread that I've read, since I'm going to be getting two Tegu's and wanted to research some aspects of introducing them to each other, with a minimal to no aggression.)

Your answer was very helpful, thank you! I was already thinking of new places to introduce them but I hadn't even thought about rearranging the tank so they both have new ground.

I have a this pair of gloves my BF used to use for chainmail that Jabba has tried, and failed, to dig through and now knows to just get on if presented to him. I wouldn't even think of getting him a playmate if I didn't know I could get him away from the newby if need be.

I'm already looking for a bigger rock so that they don't fight for space and a second hide but obviously they won't live together for a while even after I get the second one.

That's true lol. When they bask they will usually climb right on top of each other, but the larger rock idea, is a good one. ^^;;