Thread: Monkey?

Default Monkey?

I was looking through the forums and saw the suptopic for mammals was monkey... anyone happen to have one? I always wanted one, but the cost and care is just too much for a college student. Anyway, pics if you do? Gracias :lol:

They throw their poop or so I have heard..... :-/

you maybe able to find a breeder or two on www.centralpets.com

Meh, i'm not too concerned, I was just curious if anyone on here had one, it just seemed so out that Monkey was specifically one of the suptitles

My parents had a wooly monkey when I was very little, and she was insanely jealous of my mom. One day when my mom went in the cage to feed her, the monkey grabbed her the arm and bit her, then let go and sat in the corner. Mom still has a scar from it. She always says that the monkey could have killed her if she had really wanted to. Monkeys are like kids forever, only much stronger, and they don't know right from wrong- only what makes them happy. They just don't make good pets for 99% of the population!

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilemama
    They just don't make good pets for 99% of the population!
    Agreed, only I would say 99.999%. In captivity they are psychologically scarred in most instances: unpredictable little ADHD primates who pee everywhere, throw turds at you and carry Monkey-B virus, which is fatal for humans. And that's the little ones. The larger species and apes are truly potentially deadly when sexually mature, and very much stronger for their size than humans. Last year in California, an CB ape (Chimpanzee) got out of its enclosure and partially castrated a zoo visitor in addition to biting off several fingers, pulling out an eyeball and causing other massive trauma.
    Alan

The last case, I'm pretty sure the monkey was theirs, they couldn't care for it anymore and gave it to a reserve and went to visit. When they went to play with him, the monkey's changed attitude from being around less friendly cage mates caused him to go crazy and attack his former owners. Mind you, this might not be the same story, but I'm pretty sure it is

Unfortunatelys movies have a tendency to overglorify monkeys as pets. They always look so cute and cuddly when you see them on TV however that is rarely the case. The biggest problem is the disease factor. DO to relatedness factors Monkeys can pass pretty well anything they carry to us and vice versa (including colds, and flu). Also when the reach sexual maturity (like any wild animal) their temperment takes a turn for the worst, of course you can curve this change by fixing the animal but i'm sure that would cost an arm and a leg.

Charlene

Other than the poo-flinging I really can't see a good reason to own a monkey.

That's right, monkeys, apes, and primates in general are wild animals. No matter how well treated they are, it's not fair for them to be kept as pets. Sort of ironic, my being a zookeeper and saying that, but even zoos can't give all primates the space, enrichment, and mental stimulation that they need.