Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Bursting!!!!

Default I'm Bursting!!!!

So I just got a call from my local Reptile Store and my Tegu arrives tomorrow! Would have prefered picking one myself from a breeding I had to accept the fact that that isn't going to happen as I searched high and low in Canada and ehausted every possibility possible to get one from the states legally. So fingers crossed he is a healthy, beautiful Argentine Tegu
    So is there anything specific but maybe not as obvious that I should be picking up before I get her/him??
    So far I got: misting bottle, food bowl, large water dish, Mercury Vapour Bulb and fixture, additional house light and fixture, large crickets.
    I still need to get: some PVC pipe until I can build some nice hides, need to get some nice size pieces of wood to keep him entertained and give him an option for basking, cypress mulch and hydrometer will be picked up tonight so I can play around with it.
    What about superworms for a baby Tegu?

I really hope I am not forgetting anything. I have gone through this forum covering just about everything but some stuff I may need to refresh on so its time to read again!

supperworms, roaches, small fish, pinkies, wax worms(my new red just loves them) and crickets are good (and most any other bug or worm from bait & pet shops)

you could have gone to Agama International (i for got they have all the CITIES papers to ship to other countries)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Thanks Pikey!
    So if I were to feed him fish could I buy any frozen fillet from the grocery store or does it have to be fresh, high quality fish like salmon or trout? When we build his adult enclosure we plan to put a filtered pond in it and I want to add some gold fish to that
    I wish Roaches were easy to come by around here. I went to a show asking for them the other week and was informed that the fancy ones are illlegal to breed and only the kind that infests homes are legal. Go figure! Oh wow I thought he would be too young for pinkies but I'll give him a few days to settle in then I'll grab some of those. Over the last few months I have been buying ground Turkey when ever it goes on sale and freezing it in meatball sized portions.
    I thought I had contacted Agama about shipping Tegus but maybe not. I know TeguTerra was in the process of getting their Cites but when I contacted them later in the year they never got back so I just figured they didn't want to get into the hassle.

Vanessa

Any fish you would eat are good, but of course the higher quality is better.

You should really get some calcium powder without D3. I have fed mine mainly ground turkey, scrambled eggs, trout, and frozen thawed mice since she was 11 or 12 inches when I got her. I have gradually increased the size of mice from pinkie to large adult and I alternate chunked up chicken with the ground turkey now that she is much larger than when I got her. It is also very important to add finely chopped beef liver in with the ground turkey about once a week for vitamin A and mix in a dash of cod liver oil into her food weekly also for vitamin D. Anytime I feed anything other than mice I mix in or dust with calcium powder. This is very important since their bones grow quickly for the first few years. I have tried small bugs like meal worms, super worms, crickets etc. and she much prefers the ground turkey over them. She does however absolutely love adult dubia roaches bit I only give her a few per week because my colony is still becoming established. yours may have different feeding requirements depending on how small it is but even if it is 8" it will be a foot or larger in 2 months if it doesn't start hibernating. Remember to never feed it in its cage to avoid impaction and spend lots of time with it.
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers

Thanks Scubatyler,
    I forgot to mention that I have a liquid calcium, a powdered calcium w/D3, and a multi ( I have 2 beardies so I always have that stuff). I did forget the importance of the Cod Liver Oil and beef liver so I will go out and get some of that.

Are the Dubia Roaches hard to breed? They are illegal in Ontario but I am curious as you can find them if you talk to the right people

We have been working on the lighting tonight and got the basking at 104 ( we have room to move the fixture up or down if need be). Had no luck finding cypress mulch so I am going to try to find a shredded coconut husk instead.

Thanks again,
    Vanessa

lol @ scuba you feed trout.... i feed bass

Dubias are REALLY easy just water crystals, temp of about 85, a plastic tote (cut hole hot glue in window screen), egg cartons, food (baby food, fresh veggies & fruit w/ a pile of dry food - i use the powder from the bottom of the 50lb rodent blocks bags) check on them twice a week or so.
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-

& More to come

Congrats Nessie,Use the calcium without D3,And its good idea to get them started on fruit at young age, mine love grapes ,strawberry,blueberry,dandaline flowers(no pestaside),mango,banana only once in a while as treat,For taming bring in a small bathroom or better yet the bathtub(no water)& let her crawl around on you. for the first couple weeks i just let mine crawl around on me with soft petting & not to much holding to let them gain there trust in you.The cocanut husk works fine just dont mist to much or get to wet it has a tendancy to mold if kept to wet.GOOD LUCK and if you have any ???? just pm me.
    • 0.1 Extrem Giant tegu
    • 0.1 Blue tegu
    • 1.0 Red tegu
    • 1.0 Blue spot Timor monitor
    • 1.1 Corn snakes
    • 0.0.1 Red foot tortoise
    • 1 Unhappy wife

it just hit me, but i can so picture it....... shady people doing roach deals in a back alley like it's some kind of drug... lol then the cops so up and you'll all scatter like roaches lolololol
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-

& More to come

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    it just hit me, but i can so picture it....... shady people doing roach deals in a back alley like it's some kind of drug... lol then the cops so up and you'll all scatter like roaches lolololol

*bah duh CHING*
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP