Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tegu only wants egg

Some tegus just don't like to be held. My red adult falls into this category. He hates to be lifted up, held, anything off the ground and is terrified of being wrapped in a towel or covered in any way. Since his cage is on the ground, I let him walk out on his own, then gently lift him up. I carry him with his feet on me like he's on something secure. Then I let him hang out beside me.

I have a baby that doesn't acre to be held close in my hand, so I let him walk over my hands and do the treadmill thing. For some animals, it's the close grasp that scares them and makes them want to bite.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Just at the reptile show i was at this past weekend there was a self proclaimed "tegu vetran". I was hanging out with a freind of mine who had a couple tables and this guy comes up asks to hold the tegu and reaches in grabs and hold it close in almost a bear hug. It was enough for my freind to warn the guy not to hurt her. The guy says "I've kept these things for years. You have to hold them tight or they'll get away." I knew by the look in the tegu's eyes that it was freaking out. You gotta keep an eye on those "self proclaimed experts reptile handlers". It's like they watch a few Steve erwin show and think they "know what to do"

I don't mean to sound mean but i don't care who you are you are always learning.

Sorry to write such a long post just my opinion on tegu handling.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Ooops my bad. Thank you Chris for pointing out my mistake . I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I need to stop coming on here when I'm tiered then this will not happen lol.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

ljlemer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    i think he was trying to say "he didn't want a Colom because he's heard they dont like to be held, SO he got a Red & it ended up not wanting to be held"

but yes i agree with the post by TX.
    and after that you can start laying on the couch with him when watching a movie, my old tegu Liz used to fall asleep on the couch watching movies with me all the time
    Correct. I'll try the pillow case. As for pics, the best I can do is show you online pics that most resemble him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geez my last post on this thread was rather off topic. Sorry guys! I had only read LauraR's post...Sorry for being off topic
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

IDK, I thought your post kind of fit in. There are two topics on this thread. What started off about diet has turned into handling. Maybe it just needs to be split.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets