Thread: Missing Eye lid

Default Missing Eye lid

Hi, It looks like my 2 month old Tegu might be missing part of his upper eyelid. At first I thought it might have been shed skin but now that I am able to pick him up I have been taking a good look at it and it does look like half of it is not there. He is still able to close his eye and have it covered with his bottom lid. Can anyone see any problem arrisings from this in the future? I am a bit concerned about infection from objects touching that area. I keep thinking that I should have checked him out better when I picked him up but then again what would I have done if I noticed it then, prob nothing!

can you show pics? Um if it is missing you can use a Providone Iodine & water mix to keep it clean (mix the iodine & water to make what looks like a strong tea)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I'm sorry that your tegu has this problem. My guess is that maybe while shedding his eye lid, he scratched at some skin that was not ready to come off and it yanked the new skin underneath. Since he is young, maybe it will grow back.

Not to be rude Pikey, but I would be very careful with what Iused in any animal's eye. Although Providone Iodine can be safe (http://www.cehjournal.org/download/ceh_16_46_030.pdf -- jk, I didn't read all that) you really have to be exact in mixing solutions and applying dosages to the eye. If the animal had an active infection or a fresh wound, a vet might recommend something. But speaking for myself, I'd be cautious about using something like this as a general preventative.

I'm sorry Pikey. I don't want to be rude either but HernandosMom took the words out of my mouth.

Nessie. I know how you feel. I would be worried, too, about something getting into his eye when he digs into the mulch. Is it a fesh looking wound or does it look heald up ? Maybe your Tegu was housed with some other Tegus and they were fed at the same time. Who knows maybe when your Tegu was trying to get a bite from the food another Tegu got to close and you know what I mean. Two of our members here on the forum ( they were room mates ) put their Tegu together during the feeding. One Tegu bit the the tip of the tounge from the other Tegu off. I'm sorry for posting the sad story but things happen. I have seen and heard a lot of things but your case is the first.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

i dont know, never used it around and eye, i buy the 10% Iodine/90%water premix which a vet said is safe to use anywhere, but she said to be on the safe side to water it down more... to make the "tea"...... also forgot to add (sorry) but make the tea, then dip a q-tip in the tea, let it drip/tap it on the side if the dish untill it's just moist (not dripping) then "dab" the eye lid so you dont get any in the eye... Sorry i didnt mean it to sould like i wanted you to pour/drip it in the eye... you'd just want to get it on the wound, but thats after atleast asking a vet. (for i am no vet)

Dont worry not rude at all i was just on my way out the door and wanted to give what advice i could at that moment.
    Thank you for the link (there is still a large lack in treatments info for stuff like this)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

No it doesn't look fresh at all. It looks fine with the exception to the fact that it is not there. I wonder if it really can "grow" back?? Yeah I never thought about the possibility that maybe it was torn off by accident during a shed. I am going to give him some roam time in the bathroom tonight (if he is in a better mood) and I'll try to get a close up of both eyes as it is very hard to explain.

Thanks guys
    Vanessa