Thread: strange mouth wiping behavior

Default strange mouth wiping behavior

Zilla has been wiping his mouth against the ground right around mealtimes. He will do it when he starts to eat then he will eat a while and then he will do for a couple minutes after he eats. I've heard before from one of the mods here that tegus do it when they are full. He seems to be doing it for other reasons and I'm out of ideas. I am not seeking to stop his behavior I just want to understand it.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

All of mine do it. They may eat for a bit, wipe, then keep eating. I'm sure of the reason behind the behavior other than cleaning.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I really think the behavior is merely one of hygiene. Tegus seem to be highly cleanly animals, for instance, mine relieve themselves once or twice a day ONLY when removed from the enclosure. When fed, you may notice that they will pick up small bits of meat or animal debris before moving on to larger portions and the mouth wiping is something mine do every time they eat as well. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Were they to not wipe their mouths often, the meat on their face would be likely to begin rotting, which could pose serious health issues to the animal. Granted, I could very well be incorrect but it seems logical to me.

I also believe it about cleaning them self. many other animals will do similar acts. ie a raccoon will eat scraps and stuff it finds, but most of the time will "wash" it off 1st in a puddle, creek, or other source of water.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

It's nothing to worry about. All six of our Tegus do the same thing. Sometimes they doing while they are eating. They do it because sometimes they take to big of a bite and the meat is hanging out of their mouth. It's like with us. If we eat something like Spaghetti and a noodle is hanging from the side of our mouth we take a fork and put it in our mouth. Or if our lips are dirty from the food we take a napkin and wipe it clean. Well they use the floor like we do the fork or the napkin. When thei eat f/t rodents and the legs or tail is sticking out they put their mouth on the floor to adjust it. They also do it when they are full.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yes this does make sense. I always laugh because he will focuse on a dime sized piece ground turkey instead of the 1/4 lb he has left.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)