Thread: Shed problems.... need some help please

Default Shed problems.... need some help please

I am having an issue with my B & W argentine, I rescued her a couple months ago and she had a stuck shed about 6 inches long on her tail, it looks pretty bad, and i'm worried her tail could drop from it. I soak her every 2-3 days for an hour each time, and mist her twice a day everyday. I have all my tegu's on aspen bedding (bulk) an my Blues have no issues shedding, have been thinking about switching to cypress mulch. I was told by a very helpful person (txrepgirl) to add cod liver oil 2 times a week to her meals. Not sure on measurement ( 1/2 tsp. 1 tsp. ?) I wasnt sure if those shed aids work or if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks in advance, Kyle
    My tegu's are smarter than your honor student!
    Please hit LIKE on my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keys-K...9581724?ref=ts
    Check out my youtube channel aswell http://www.youtube.com/user/STLherps

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 100% DBL het Leather beardie
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie
    1.0 Hypo Leather 100% het tranz beardie

Yeah aside from the cod liver oil you can try using mineral oil/adding baby oil to the bathwater and then after the soak lightly rub the affected area with a towel. While soaking it probably helps to rub it in too, especially if using the mineral oil.

I've never heard of using KY on anything other than prolapses but that does sound like a good idea.
    Last edited by Tora; 07-28-2010 at 07:01 AM.

If you are using aspen alone, I'm guessing the tegu doesn't have enough humidity. We have tried the shaved aspen and it doesn't do a good job of holding water. We have a fossorial reptile that lives on shredded aspen -- it is the best for burrowing -- but that lizard likes more arid habitats. I tried mixing peat with the aspen and that improved things, but it's really messy. Lots of people have had good results with cypress mulch. It isn't widely available where we live and there have been some problems with poachers ripping up fragile wetlands to get a cheap source of cypress. Coco bark also works for humidity and is inexpensive. I've personally not used it for fear of impaction. We use fine grade orchid bark, but it's getting hard to find the right kind. It should be labeled fir (otherwise it might be mixed with pine or cedar, which are not good for lizards) and the fine grade seems to be spongier than the larger grade.

The humidity should feel sweltery most of the time. Spraying a couple times a day will usually not achieve that, and not at all if you happen to have a screen top. A cool fog humidifier such as the ReptiFogger can help a lot.

For cod liver oil, it IS possible to overdose the lizard, so take care. I've had a vet recommend literally one DROP per serving, a couple times a week. But too much can cause liver damage.

@Tora, I think you may be confusing mineral oil with mineral water. I don't think mineral water would do a thing to help. I recommend KY Jelly rather than oil. It was recommended by our vet and it does work. You have to use it after you've already soaked the skin and allowed it to absorb moisture from a nice, warm, humid environment. KY is water soluble and helps the scales retain the moisture, in addition to lubricating the separation of old skin from new.

Thanks for your help guys, the hardware stores near me sell large bags of cypress mulch (I know to make sure there are no fertilizers in it, and needs to be heated to kill any bugs that could possibly be in there.) I also feed out of cage to make sure no chance of impaction. I use vision type cages and they hold humidity very well, she also has a water dish large enough for soaking. When i soak her in warm water I haven't tried to rough the old skin up much for fear of ripping new and old skin, but i will try that, and I will get some KY or vaseline. Any other tips would be great otherwise I will try an get a pic of her tail up tonight and will keep you guys updated daily on her progress, Thanks again Kyle

Included a pic of my lil sweetie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please hit LIKE on my page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keys-K...9581724?ref=ts

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie

You can wrap a warm towel around him after he is done the bath for a 5 minutes and than a dry towel. Also, when he gets out of the bath and is still wet than rub the mineral oil on him, this will help lock in the moisture.

Don't waste your money on shed aid products.
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

Just a little update, I got 2 large bags of cypress mulch for $6 at the hardware store, and couldn't find anything on the bag listing any pesticides, I also bought some cod liver oil, and some vaseline.

Here is the process i'm going to do daily let me know how it sounds,

1. Soak in warm water 30-60 minutes
    2. Rough up skin while in bath
    3. Dry her off/ rough up skin while drying
    4. Coat stuck shed with vaseline
    5. Add 1 drop of cod liver oil to meals (eats every other day)
    6. Mist cypress mulch 3 times a day

If I left anything out or you have any more suggestions please let me know, Thanks for all the help everyone, Kyle

1.1. Blue Tegus
    0.1 Red Tegu
    0.1 Black & White Tegu
    0.1 Striped AFT
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos
    0.1 Red Tranz beardie

try stuffing the hide with damp moss
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Hi Kyle . First I want to let you know that I love your signature lol. I also want to thank you for the compliment . He is a very good looking Tegu .

I'm sorry I forgot to mention how much to use of the cod liver oil. You just need a few drops of it. I usally buy the cod liver oil that comes in small gel ( link below ). I poke a hole in it and squeeze it into the ground turkey just once or twice a week. You also can feed some fresh fish filets at room temps ( cat fish, cod, salmon, tilapia, tuna ). Just put it in some warm water to warm it up. Then you don't have to use the fish oil. I would feed the fish just once a week because of the mercury in it. Here is some info for you on the shedding problem.

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl