Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impaction Nightmare??

1. Default

he asked "where" in the tank he was doing it and i told him he does in in the center where the temp is in the middle of the two contrasting sides under the uv light he said its probably just him tryina to either move something around or an upset stomach he dealign with due to the laxative type foods hes getting or hes trying to use the lighting to break down somthing further..... side not i also orders some "pet authority acidophilitz+ for reptiles" did some research and i heard/read that it could help the situation im in seeing tha tit is a digestive tract conditioner/aid ... ever hear of this stuff?

No, this is new to me. When my female was impacted for a month I never saw her do that.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

There was some discussion on this forum concerning acidophilus about a year ago. Some people were saying the gave their tegus yogurt with live acidophilus culture to help with digestive problems and others, including me, believed this was helpful for mammals but not reptiles. Acidophilus breaks down milk sugars and tegus don't consume milk in any form, even when attending wine and cheese receptions. So to the degree that yogurt/acidophilus may or may not ease constipation, it would not be in a healthy way. I don't doubt that some company packages acidophilus for lizards, but that doesn't mean it's good for your pet.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia:

"Acidophilus is a general name for a group of probiotics, often added to milk or sold as a capsule, which contains one or more of the following bacteria that aid in digestion:
    Lactobacillus acidophilus (A)
    Lactobacillus casei (C)
    Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (L)
    Bifidobacterium species (B)
    Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus
    Only L. acidophilus is the true acidophilus species, but many producers (mainly in the US) use it as a more generic name for mixtures of bacteria, one of which may be L. acidophilus."

I like to use probiotics, but not exclusively acidophilus for reasons HM stated. I found one that was comprised of soil bacteria and I felt that was a better match than dairy based bacteria. The brand I used was Primal Defense. just thought i'd mention it if you were interested.

I'm glad to hear your tegu is better. I would think soft poo is easier to deal with than hard poo. I'm sure the vet gave you good directions, but I would continue to give warm baths, allow plenty of exercise to get things moving, feed fruit/veggie baby foods for fiber (along with meat), keep basking temps at 110-115, and keep calcium supplementation up. If anything contradicts what your vet says, go with the vet, of course.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

5. Default

im not gunna give him the acidophilitz+ every day im really just gunna use it to see if it will help his situation hes in right now.... and if it works at least i know i have that for if this ever occurs again..... update.... hes eating meat/veggie baby foods mixed with a little bit of applesauce... gotta keep it soft in there hopefully he passes it all soon :(

I know I sound like a nag. Just be sure to keep adding calcium to each of these meals because all of these foods are low in calcium and high in phosphorous.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

7. Default

haha nah just didnt want anyone to think i wasnt tryna do the right thing for my little buddy... and for sure i added his vitamin dust to the food i gave him today.... hes been sleeping alot latley i think he might be tryna hibernate although ive never let him... i keep his temps steady and the lighting is all on timers to simulate an actual night and day senario....

8. Default

he pooped!!! so stoked!!!!

Yay! Poop!

Way to go Arch . Congrats on a Happy Ending . I'm very happy for the both of you.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl