Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B/W x red hatchling photos

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    I think before we are going to breed our Tegus we will built a incubator out of a old fridge and play around with it. Just to make sure we get the temps and humidity right.
    The incubator I built out of the large cooler works great, was inexpensive to build and doesn't take up a lot of room. Now all we need is something to put in it! ;?)
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

My incubator was fine. The problem is, what are the temps and humidity supposed to be? My temps stayed in 86-89 range the entire time, except for one week when I turned them down to 84. For some reason, I really don't think that was the problem.

I had a mold problem shoot up with the first clutch which required me to open the incubator to deal with the mold. It may have been fluctuating temperatures in the incubator as the heat cable kicked on and off at a crucial point in egg development that caused the problem.

I've read that humidity too high or too low can cause problems in some species. I read a study (can't remember if it was peer reviewed) of the hatching of two monitors and one came out severely deformed and the other was fine.

It is an interesting case for why many species are ranched/farmed instead of incubated, and why other psecies are readily captive bred and many morphs develop as a result.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thank you Dave. I know that you have a good incubator. I saw it . I'm so gald that I still have a long time to figure out how to built the incubator.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Laura, they look great!

It's ashame it happens, but there are so many variables you can't avoid some of these situations. Nature can be cruel, but it is what it is. As a breeder you have to realize this and try to do the best you can while being both realistic and ethical. Not every reptile that is born is perfect, not every breeding that occurs is successful. Animals get injured, get killed, and sometimes have to be euthanized or culled.

Sometimes people don't realize this and take for granted the blood, sweat and tears that go into a project such as this.

The plus to all of this though is that you successfully bred, hatched and now have some cool looking babies there.

You did a great job.

Chris Allen

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post

HernandosMom. Thank you for the info. I wish I could of seen that video.
    I think you can still buy this CD from Timo. Go to the Agama International website and click through to the old pages (new ownership has the site under construction). Look for the film about tegus in the wild. If you can't find it on the site, I'll bet you can buy it directly from Timo. Even though it says it's about wild tegus, most of the film is about their ranch. It's worth buying if you are a fan of Bert's and love tegus, but I will say honestly that you will get much more out of the film if you have a good, healthy sense of humor. It is narrated by Hester, Bert's wife. You can tell that the family has a very dry, ironic sensibility but without a laugh track some of this might fly by. Think of it as an elaborate home movie and you will have a good idea what to expect. Oh, and the musical soundtrack is fantastic, even though it isn't recorded very high quality. It is clearly from their family collection of tango and other appropriate music for tegus.

At first when HernandosPapa and I were watching this, because it was so different from our expectation, we were like, whaaaat? Then we really appreciated his passion and the way his family all participated. It really has the makings of a great story about a brilliant guy who's not afraid to be eccentric and follow his dream, and I was amazed at what a good sport Hester was about the whole venture.

You may not learn about the kind of husbandry that is useful for tegus inside your home, especially given what the world has learned since this film was made (easily over 30 years ago). But it is inspiring on a weird level.

Ooops, :oops:sorry to put this off-topic movie review in the middle of your post, laurarfl -- feel free to move it away.

Thank you for the info . I have seen many videos that they made ( on youtube ) but I'm not sure that I have seen the video that you are talking about. I'll try to get that DVD.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that Agama international put out dvds.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)