Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Stores, pain

Default Pet Stores, pain

How are the exotic pet stores in your area at taking care of the animals? I would ask pet stores, but I understand pet smart and petco are normally pretty bad about taking care of the reptiles, but at least they keep a small amount so they are actually able to manage them. But I also find that the Major pet supply stores are very large, where as the exotic pet stores always feel tiny and cramped.

In my area of Austin the Exotic pet stores kinda upset me. While I do enjoy seeing the reptiles, it upsets me when I see lizards with bad sheds, empty or blackened water dishes, and cages that aren't suitable for the critters in them.

How are the pet stores in your are? I understand these exotic pet stores tend to take rescues and accept pet that people no longer want, but when i visit these stores it always seems like there isn't a pre shop opening proccedure to at least change out the water and spot clean the cages.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

i know how you feel i have a small shop about 15miles away. i had stopped to just see what they had & i saw a beautiful baby Sav Monitor. I asked what they wanted for it and the guy told me to come back and ask when the owner was there, so i did and he said it wasn't for sale yet wanted to make sure it was eating well and doing good before it gets sold.... well that was September of 2009, i was there every month up until 3 months ago it was in a 30gal tank full screen top no UVB light on cage carpet...It was missing 1/2 of it's back foot due to no humidity and the shed cutting it off the other half was swollen and infected. i went out side for a cig & called the local animal shelter & they said they would investigate, but i dont know what ever happened to the poor guy
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

We have a nearby pet store (Off the Ark - Exotic Pets) in Chesterfield, VA.They always have extra tanks to take care of reptiles they pet sit. I've heard the owner tell a girl the other day actually that the tank she was keeping her lizard in was too small. The other guy that works there is pretty knowledgeable, the owner just seems to attract crowds of people genuinely interested in learning more about reptiles and he never disappoints that I've seen.

They also have a great layaway plan since they don't try to take on too many of any type of animal that I've seen. I've only seen one animal look ill in their shop and the next week when I visited it was doing fine.

Only exotic pet store near me is like 50 min away in another town, but it's not half bad. They have a HUGE monitor that's like the store mascot in a decent enclosure, and all the other animals are in acceptable cages (as far as pet shop enclosures go). They all seem in good shape, there's 2 tegus that they had in there that were in a little too small of a cage though, but the easier to house lizards were ok. They had some huge beardies! The only thing that I really didn't like was the conditions of the feeder rabbits. They were kinda just in a tub.

Now when I lived in Vegas, there was a shop that was awesome! It was a little cramped inside but it was always like going to a zoo.

That's what I love about local exotic pet shops. They're always getting new things and there's always something new when you go in.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

We have a couple really amazing fish stores.One of The main exotics dealers in my area has taken a nosedive in the past year and a half. His male basilisk has a hole in it's crest, his Arg. Tegu is way to skinny. And his tanks are dirty and water bowls are empty and/or dirty.

So now I try to get my food online and animals at shows or from breeders.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

I live in St. Louis and our local shop is great. We personally know the owner and he has workers that go there every day to clean tanks and take care of the animals. I have never had any problems with him and rarely ever see a reptile there not in great condition. He does go to majior shows so if you ever see him cheack him out hes got great reps and great prices lol. Exotic A.R.C.
    2.5.0 Morph Leopard Geckos
    2.1.0 Normal Leopard Geckos
    0.1.0 Baby Leopard Gecko (tremper albino het raptor)
    1.1.0 hypo redtail boas
    1.1.0 Southern Pine Snakes (albino,axanthic het albino )
    2.1.0 Bearded Dragons
    0.0.1 Columbian Black & White Tegu
    25 Tarantulas

We have some, too, that I'm not very happy with them. There is one that used to be the best reptile store in town and it went down hill very bad. I'm not talking about Petco or Petsmart. It's called Alamo Exotics.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    We have some, too, that I'm not very happy with them. There is one that used to be the best reptile store in town and it went down hill very bad. I'm not talking about Petco or Petsmart. It's called Alamo Exotics.
    you all have got it made. I have to drive almost 50 miles to go to a shop that is decent.... although one of them moved out of there shop and not sure if they were going to keep reptiles again. Since there main store was salt water fishes?
    1.1.0 Snow boas
    1.0.0 albino boa
    4.2.0 salmon/Hypo boas
    0.1.0 DH sunglow
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.0.1 Anery corn
    0.0.1 Motley sunglow corn

0.0.2 Extreme giant tegu's
    1.0.0 BW tegu
    0.1.0 Blue Tegu
    3.2.0 beardies
    sandfire, snow, rankins, german giants

3.0.0 dogs : ChowChow and Shi Tzu's

Quote Originally Posted by All_American View Post
    you all have got it made. I have to drive almost 50 miles to go to a shop that is decent.... although one of them moved out of there shop and not sure if they were going to keep reptiles again. Since there main store was salt water fishes?
    Yah ours is about 5 minutes away. We always just go up there and talk and look around.
    2.5.0 Morph Leopard Geckos
    2.1.0 Normal Leopard Geckos
    0.1.0 Baby Leopard Gecko (tremper albino het raptor)
    1.1.0 hypo redtail boas
    1.1.0 Southern Pine Snakes (albino,axanthic het albino )
    2.1.0 Bearded Dragons
    0.0.1 Columbian Black & White Tegu
    25 Tarantulas