Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Stores, pain

Well, one really close to me specialized in exotic fish and the aquatics were amazing. The reptile section was horrid. Gross. Nightmarish. What can I say?

Pet Bazaar is about a 20 min drive (Everything in Orlando is a 20min drive lol). It is a reptile specialty shop and very well kept. I've sold baby beardies and corn snakes to them in the past, but now they breed a lot of their own. They don't open until 11-ish, so they have time to clean the store. The specimens are healthy and I always feel good about sending people there to buy from them. One drawback...they are expensive. But you are paying for their expertise. The staff are members of the local herp society. One guy breeds boas and deals with hots on the side. They make sure you have proper lighting, etc. And the best part...if you buy like 3 dozen crickets...they give you at least 6 dozen. I hate places that count individual crickets. That kinda weirds me out and they smash my crickets!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

HAHA ! Yah I know about the crickets! They do one big scoop for every dozen you order and one scoop contains about 3 dozen. Oh and the shop was on the news about a week ago talkin about how people just expect snakes to be mean but the reporter was holding a bunch of snakes. He did show their retic in the back which is about 15 ft which scared them but its not mean and they told them that.
    2.5.0 Morph Leopard Geckos
    2.1.0 Normal Leopard Geckos
    0.1.0 Baby Leopard Gecko (tremper albino het raptor)
    1.1.0 hypo redtail boas
    1.1.0 Southern Pine Snakes (albino,axanthic het albino )
    2.1.0 Bearded Dragons
    0.0.1 Columbian Black & White Tegu
    25 Tarantulas

They used to do that (give you extra crickets) at the shop I went into until me and the owner had a disagreement on his husbandry skills (or lack thereof). He would keep a 2ft nile monitor in a 3 ft cage...the poor little guy rubbed a chunk of his nose off...it was sad. That is just one case. There were a dozen more. I still needed crickets so a couple months after that I was still going in there and you could tell he had the whole "no more Mr. nice guy" mentality. He started charging me outrageous prices, like $20 for 110 crickets. So as soon as he did that I knew that I was not going in there again. So now I buy crickets online.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

thats why i'm glad i only buy like 30 every other week
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

All_American. They used to have a lot of reptiles but not any more. The ones they do have are not being very well cared for. They also had alot of fish ( fresh and salt water ) and that area is almost empty, too. I don't see them being open to much longer.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I usually buy a box of 1000 at a time, but sometimes I just need a few little ones.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Laura. Do you order them or do you buy them at the store ( the 1000 ones ) ? If you order them can you please give me the info on where you get them from please. Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I used to order them on-line, but now it is just as cheap for me to get them at my store, and they use the same suppliers. There is a cricket virus going around that is killing off crickets and has shut down some cricket farms, like Lucky Lure in FL. I like to support Armstrong Crickets because they live in the same town as my mom and dad grew up in Georgia. My mom still lives there and I'll stop by and pick up crickets when I visit. They also have a main farm in Louisiana that probably has cheaper shipping for you. There's also Ghann's in TX, but I have never bought from them.

http://armstrongcrickets.com/

http://www.ghann.com/index.cfm
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

That's why I just started breeding mice, which seriously pissed off the exterminator I live with. As often as mice breed I'm set and I don't have to worry about getting a frozen mouse that has some sort of disease.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

Just yesterday I went to one of the coolest fish stores I've ever been to, but their reptile section wasn't that good. They were keeping their colombian Tegu in a tank that had a dry water bowl and sand was the substrate. So I talked to the guy in charge and told him what was going on and he said he wasn't aware that sand wasn't okay and he would get some of his guys to fix it.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)