Thread: Shed / Skin Problem...

Unhappy Shed / Skin Problem...

helpp...

can anybody explain this shedding problem..??
    he's very sensitive if i touch that area...

Click those picture to see in larger view..

tx all...

Welcome new member!

Yep, that's retained shed. Not all parts of the body shed at the same time or with the same ease. Sometimes it doesn't look like the old skin is dead or that there is new skin underneath waiting to breath free. When you see that cracking, that's what's going on. IMO, it is the heartbreak of tegu husbandry.

Our boy had a terrible retained shed for many months. You have to give a lot of attention to humidity. And not just soaking in bathes, although this helps. What I learned from our vet is that humid air is needed for the tegu to have good health -- all the metabolic processes, conversion of energy, absorption of nutrients from food, growth, etc., go much smoother if the animal is living in higher humidity. It's like if a dog's nose is too dry, you know something's wrong. Or if you have chemotherapy (hope not!) and your mucous membranes are killed off. For a tegu, imagine the insides of his nostrils as his nose.

To get the right humidity and not just wetness, we had to pay attention to both heat and moisture provided. In our case, even though we were providing and measuring what seemed ideal conditions, our boy was seeking out dry, cool places to chill. He'd hole up during the day when we weren't around, so we didn't realize how little he was basking, lounging in the pond, and exposed to humidity. During this period he free roamed in his tegu-proof room most days while we were at work. Now we keep him confined unless under supervision, and he can't roam for such long periods that he's away from his humid place.

If you read through the threads in the forum on health issues on this site, you'll hear some of the different things people do to help their lizards shed, as well as plenty of warnings. It's not a quick fix, so I encourage you to read lots and have lots of patience.

Keep an eye on the cracked places. I can't tell from the picture, but sometimes the scaley layer can crack open to expose flesh. This might be what your tegu is showing sensitivity to. (However, it is a common defensive response in tegus to react when you touch the base of their tale, as that is their Investment.) If you see pinkish white flesh exposed, I would consider a visit to the vet. You may wish to put Neosporin or similar anti-bacterial ointment on it. The vet may consider whether a systemic antibiotic is in order.

Hi doe2keren. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. I recommend giving him some luke warm/ warm baths for a few miutes ( about 30 min ) a day. Here is some info for you to read if you want to.

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl