Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large pacman frog help!!

I use the bait store and he seems to spot them better when they are dusted white.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I just recived his collection last night and the frog seems healthy but his enclosure is VERY bare. nothing but cypress mulch. What should i add? when i opened the enclosure to take a peek at him there was a faint smell of ammonia. Do pacman frogs enclosures usually smell this way?? He also ate alot when i fed him before i left for school this morning. He had one large mouse and 4 or 5 adult dubia then wouldnt eat anymore. He ate the mouse with no problem at all and devoured it in seconds. Should I switch to small rats??
    1 Black and White Argentine Tegu
    1 Black Throat Monitor
    1 Ball python
    1 Sulcata Tortoise
    1 Leopard Tortoise (pardalis pardalis)
    3 Indian Star Tortoise
    1 Mali Uromastyx
    1 Spotted Salamander
    1 veiled chameleon
    1 Enigma Leopard Gecko
    1 Sunfire Bearded Dragon
    1 Australian whites tree frog
    1 red ear x yellow belly
    1 Yellow belly
    1 Red ear slider
    1 southern banded watersnake
    3 Savannah monitors
    2 Annoying Younger Brothers

I'm a little different when it comes to enclosures. A lot of mine are bare because decorations = more to clean. They aren't totally bare, just simple. For frogs, I like a substrate, a hide, and maybe an easy to clean plant. They dig it all up anyway.

I would ditch the cypress for really wet coco. Then they can burrow into it and it acts as their hide as well. Ammonia is not good. Sounds like excrement build up. They can squirt out quite a lot of water.

This is just my opinion, but large mice seem more nutritious in some regards. An adult mouse will have more calcium than a young rat because it has a mature skeleton.

Here's a pretty decent link: http://lllreptile.com/info/library/a...-pac-man-frog/
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I've heard that most people use rat pups when they want to fatten up an under nurished animals
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

My condolences on the loos of your friend, that must have been hard.

My father had a packman frog for a few years and When it had gotten full grown he would get a few fish from the store and fed it 2-3 fish a day. He kept Death (the packman frog- Dead Like Me reference) in a 10gal tank he misted daily, half the tank was underwater though I can't recall the type of substrate he used. He had a small fake plant in the corner but it was mostly ignored since Death sat on the rock in the middle of the tank most of the time.

Hope it helps.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

I would take all the cypress out and replace it with zoo-meds eco earth or any other coconut husk bedding. if you go to make the other half of the enclosure water make sure that it is not hard to clean
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

Do you have any pics of this big guy?
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad

Hi Daboogymann, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend that has to be hard. I've heard some things about pacman frogs while I was researching on tegu's that I think might help you some. Pacman frogs are opportunistic eaters and will eat pretty much anything you give them but you need to watch the size, I would stick with pinkies, crickets, roaches etc. and they also won't stop eating when they're full so he'll always have an appetite. Also I heard that you shouldn't pick them up very much or at all because toxins from human's hands can seep into their skin and cause them to get sick or die. That is why in the wild when a part of the wilderness is polluted the frogs die first. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by LovleyLin; 10-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

I wish I had saw this thread earlier.. I am not sure you have a pacman/horned frog if it is 7 inches. It is incredibly rare that a horned frog reaches 7 inches.. Some varieties do, however, to actually get that variety of rare frog is a rear thing in itself. Are you sure it is not a South African Bull Frog/Pyxie frog.

Also, as suggested ditch the cypress muulch immediately. Cypress is no good for frogs, it is full of jagged edges and splinters. Coco fiber (eco earth) is best. Keep the fiber moist, not soggy, at all times. This may require misting a couple of times a day.

Also, rodent should ONLY be offered as some what of a treat. Maybe once per month. They have a lot of fat and can lead to obesity and even death in frogs.

Other very important things are temperatures. The temps must be verified with a reliable cource, a diigtal thermometer or temp gun is best. Just make sure whatever source you use is acurate. The temps MUST be in the low to mid 80's F during the day and a little cooler at night. One side should be warmer than than the other. You can use a ceramic heather or some other heat bulb. Some uv is good for them. If you have an albino, stay away from UVB

With these frogs, simple is best...Coco fiber and a shallow water dish. It must be a shallow water dish becasue these frogs can drown easilly. Nothin deeper than the frogs chin/hostrils.

As far as food ,n ight crawlers are probably the best. You can get tham at Walmart for Like 3 bucks for 24. Crickets are good too. A combination of both is best and a rodent of appropriate size once per month. I believe smaller is better, the frog should have no problem getting it in his mouth.

I hope this was helpful...

p.s. You are doing a great thing by taking on the care of your friends animals. I am sorry for your loss
    Rob
    Last edited by october; 10-21-2010 at 07:20 PM.

OMG. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I saw that video a while back. I wish I could help you but I can't. I don't know anything about frogs. Sorry. May he R.I.P.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl