Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me?

Default Help me?

My boyfriend seems to think eggs are just as healthy for the tegu as mice since, by his logic, the yolk grows into all those vital organs. I told him that stem cells grow into our vital organ but they're not that healthy to eat and that the poop from our tegu went from runny to solid after feeding him more mice. He threw up his hands at that and told me my argument hinged on poop.

He went on to say the poop was all about fiber, not nutrients. Is it just me or is fiber part of nutrients? He then told me that if we put calcium powder on the eggs it would all be good but I don't think so.

Does anyone have any proof that mice are more healthy than just eggs? Please?
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

Is he looking to feed your tegu ALL eggs ALL the time, as like his primary diet?? Have you shown him all of the feeding guides in all of the care sheets?
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I've pointed out that while he lets Jabba out when he's off work I've actually researched the care and keeping of tegus. He has not. He seems content most times to differ to my knowledge. Then other times he seems to have 'logic' enough to think he knows better.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

Yeah there is nothing wrong with feeding eggs that have supplements on them but in excess I don't think it would be good. Same with rodents, you don't want to strictly feed a diet of rodents. I have heard so many people say that variety is the key and that way you know your Tegu is getting all kinds of great nutrients. Does he just not like the idea of feeding mice or other f/t prey? My guy does good with rodents, Turkey, Egg, chicken hearts, chicken breast, salmon, butter worms (every now and then), I offer banana, strawberries, blueberries, red grapes, blue grapes and peach baby food and so far all she will take in the form of fruit is the baby food. He will get combos of these items throughout the week on different days of course. The more I offer him something the more accepting he seems to be of it.
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Like mentioned above, to much of anything isn't good. Feeding some hard boiled eggs maybe twice a week is OK. If you feed to much of the eggs your Tegu will get to much protein and to much fat from the yolk. The f/t rodents are much better for the calcium intake then the powder. But if you feed to much of the rodents the Tegu can get impacted from to much hair. Here is a chart of the nutrition for the eggs.

Ntrition info for eggs:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...products/117/2

Nutrition info for feeder rodents:

http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I don't think all the facts and logic on this entire forum will help you win this argument. I think it's time to get a new BF.

to much un-fertilized eggs lead to a biotin (i think thats the word) deficiency.
    and yes too much egg with give them the runs (mean a lack in fiber) the shells & better than Cal. powder.
    i personally only do eggs once every other week
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Variety is key when it comes to the food you should give your Tegu
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Pikey, it doesn't matter if it's fertilized or unfertilized egg. The egg white (which is added to the "egg" AFTER fertilization) contains abundant avidin, which will bind to the biotin in the egg yolk, making it unusable to the tegu. As the egg develops into a chick, THAT'S what uses up the avidin, so fertilization does nothing in itself to rid the egg of avidin. However, cooking the egg will destroy the avidin.

good to know (I've never been a bird person nor do i eat eggs)
    I've just been going by what others have said (even Bert had that info posted)

So thank you, more proof that every one is still learning
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children