Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ummmm... I think we just bought a house. :shock:

Default Ummmm... I think we just bought a house. :shock:

So, it hasn't sunk in yet, but I believe that The Boyfriend and I just bought our first house. Most of the lack of sinking in probably has to do with my job (I'm a flight attendant, and therefore gone a good deal of the time, so things move differently for me) and the fact that he's been the one doing all of the leg-work, so I've just kinda been floating along. But we're in escrow now on a BEAUTIFUL place with PLENTY of room for our kids... err... reptiles. We've already pondered where we should house them... in one of the bedrooms, or in the HUGE garage. It's an amazing feeling, and while we'll be losing out on some things being out in the "burbs", we'll be gaining so much more.

Just thought I'd share.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Congratulations!!! I'm assuming the garage has electricity? Honestly I'd go with the garage, it seems like it would have more room and as long as you lock the garage they shouldn't be about to escape that easily. But then again inside might be better for temp control or if you think there's a possibility your kids/reptiles will be getting out. Just use your best judgement and I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

We just moved into a new house in April. He have a garage to but the floor is kind of sunken in =( We will have it repaired in the spring though. I've though about housing reptiles in there....but it would get sooo cold in the winter. idk if its a good idea. even with the most powerful heating equipment idk if that would be a good move
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Well, The Boyfriend had mentioned housing all there enclosures in the garage (just because it's so BIG), but I tend to lean toward keeping them in one of the bedrooms. I just like the idea of keeping them in the house, more like they're part of the family, instead of storage in the garage. Either way, they're all going to be in the their own enclosures, and safe from escaping.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

well, my two cents on the issue is the farther they are from you, the less they are on your mind and the less attention you will be giving them. Not criticising, just words of wisdom from someone who's had animals scattered all over (including different continents).

awesome i'm happy for you.... we are hoping to have the money saved up to buy one next spring
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    well, my two cents on the issue is the farther they are from you, the less they are on your mind and the less attention you will be giving them. Not criticising, just words of wisdom from someone who's had animals scattered all over (including different continents).
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I like having my animals close to the "action", for lack of a better term. I enjoy being able to watch them, and have them watch us, even if all we're doing is chilling in front of the TV. I think that the only reason why The Boyfriend was considering the option of housing them in the garage, is that the garage is massive, whereas the extra bedroom is relatively small (that, and I think he likes the idea of turning it into a guest bedroom for when friends come visit and want to crash). But I'm with you on this one, Tupinambis.

Congrats on the new house . I know how you feel. I'm going through the same thing right now. With not knowing if we put the new enclosures in the garage or have them in the two extra bedrooms. Well one is a reptile room the other one is my office. I think we are going to build some new big enclosures for the garage and when it gets cold bring them back inside. Here in TX it's nice and humid in the spring and summer time. So the garage would be better at that time.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Congrats on the house! I definitely agree with you guys on the traffic issue. My tegus are in the garage, but we also use the garage as a main point of entry into the house since it has the driveway and electric door. Then the garage goes right into the kitchen/dining room which is like the business hub of our home. So someone is walking past the tegus 4-6 times a day. My husband doesn't notice them much, but every time I walk by them I talk to them and check to make sure they look OK. And of course I take them out for feeding time and free roam time. I like the garage because I let the natural temp drops and light cycles help with their hibernation cues. But living in Central FL, my garage never gets below 50 degrees. If we have a strange freeze, it is usually one night and I can easily add extra heat for that one night.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Well that's the thing... here in Sac, it's dry as all hell, can and does get into the triple-digits during the Summer, and drops into the 40s and even 30s at night in the Winter. There might be a small inconvenience involved with housing our pets in one of the bedrooms, but I personally think it'd be worth it, knowing they'd be safer and more regulated temperature-wise.