Thread: golden breeders?

Default golden breeders?

Hey guys my name is Mike and I have recently fell deeply in love with tegus. It all started when I saw one in my local pet shop. I had heard of tegus before and heard that they were very nasty so I decided to ask how this one was. He told me it was good once it was out of the cage and I decided to do some research. Well I looked at a couple videos and saw how tame they can be and how great they truly are. I decided that I wanted an Argentine B&W and while looking at some pics I came across a pic of a golden tegu. At that moment I knew that was the tegu for me. I know that at the moment I am definately not ready for a tegu but I do plan on getting one in the near future. I know they require a large enclosure and alot of room. I actually planned on free roaming it in my house. I feel so embarassed that I went through all that just to ask if anyone knew a quality breeder for goldens but I am really interested in tegus.

Thanks soo much,
    Mike

P.S. sorry if it is in the wrong section

FIrst, welcome. I'm not sure what you mean by golden, if you could post a picture of the tegu you are talking about, or at least a link, then I could help you. I hear golden, I think Colombian. I do not recommend a Colombian for a first time keeper. They do tame down, but it takes alot more work, and it can be really frustrating. I suggest starting with a black and white, They cost a bit more, but it is worth it in the long run. The breeder I recomend is Bobby hill from Varnyardherps inc. He is a great guy to do business with. As far as free roaming it in your home, I highly urge you not to do this, there is tons of things that can injure the animal. Free roaming should only be done under supervision.

If you want to free roam your tegu it would probably be a better idea to tegu-proof a room and let him free roam in a single room.If you like the golden because of the coloration, I would suggest getting a Argentine red, but if it's the size I'd go with a blue. Blue's don't always have a platinum blue color but they grown to just barely larger than a Colombian.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

There really aren't any Golden breeders in the US. T teguixin eggs take around 5 months to incubate, the clutch is 3-5 eggs, and the resale value is low, so there isn't much incentive to breed them. Instead what you find are imports or captive hatched eggs. I have three eggs incubating and I'm thinking, "Wow...August to Feb? Seriously?" I have to admit that I don't have a lot of faith in my ability to hatch these guys out. :(

Anyway, my first tegu was a Colombian. They really aren't as bad as people say. They are a bit more flightly as babies, but they settle down with handling. They continue to huff as adults (but I like that part) and are more skittish. But I have a male that is just as tame as many Argentine B/W's and my female has made the trip to many classroom demonstrations.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets