Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Broken

Unhappy Heart Broken

:cry: Ok well I was trying to be a good mom to my new little extreme giant Tegu and wait a few days to let him get adjusted to him new home... Today was the first day that i had him out walking around when i noticed that it looks like his right front leg folds under him when he is walking like its broken :( I am trying to attach a video but please let me know what you think i should do. I feel like i should have held him from the first day i got him but i wanted him to adjust. I called bobby and am trying to get him a video as well but i dont know if i should take him to the vet too, Is bobby gonna put him to sleep if i have to send him back?? Please give me your input. i will post again with the link when ifs finished loading.:cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djXtinmca1o
    Here is the link on You tube, Its under "Tegu Walking funny" From BogganR14 if the ling doesnt work

The cool thing about animals is unlike humans they don't suffer pity and feel like they got screwed in life. I'm about to tell a personal story about a dog I owned with a Moral, so bear with me.

I had a puppy, cream Lab, one day a kid came over, wasn't paying attention and smashed its leg in the door. Not on purpose the little snot wasn't paying attention and didn't really care. After tending to the wound and getting the yelping to stop, we thought nothing of it. I can't remember clearly but I think it was the puppy from the litter my dog had we decieded to keep. Later on the puppy grew up and we noticed it ran kind of funny. It turns out the leg had been broken in 2 places, but healed up. It healed up funny and the dog to my knowledge still runs funny to this day. But the dog was happy, it played, harrased the other dog, refused to return the ball but hide it from the other dog that was addicted to fetch and the ball like a coke head.

The point is that as long as the animal is healthy and able to perform the functions it doesn't 'relize' it is hurt and it won't effect it. If nothing else if the Tegu is healthy and the leg has healed, just funny, I would take this a win. That guy won't be able to escape or run away fast. Aside from your lizard being broken which noone wants it can be salvaged no prob. Your Tegu looks hungry and curious.

I wouldn't put it to sleep, try to get your money back or maybe a new one, or some sort of super discount. But if it would be killed I'd say mail it to me, I'll gladly take a lizard that can't run away from me fast!
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

Oooh :-( I am so sorry.

He does seem to have something wrong between the elbow and shoulder. Only an x-ray would show exactly what.

Of course, the breeder would probably take him back if he's brand new. But if it were me I would go to the vet to have him examined.

It's always a difficult decision when you have to determine how much care to give an animal weighed against its suffering. Does he continue to eat ok and poop ok? If so, perhaps he is injured but not critically.

Maybe the breeder has notes about whether he had noticed something from birth? If it's, say, a double joint that gives him a gimpy walk but doesn't interfere with his quality of life in captivity, then for me I could still love that guy. But if you are interested in having a breeder for your own plans, or had your heart set on a "show piece" specimen, you are perfectly within your rights to know if this is congenital, and to exchange it for another. You can discuss with the guy you got him from, whether he would be re-homed or what.

I most definatly do not want to get rid of him or put him to sleep! I love him and want him to have the best life, but if the breader wanted me to send him back so he can euthanize i wont do it! I have no need for a "show piece" i just want to love him and give him a great home. He eats fine! Actually this video was taken after he ate maybe thats why he looks hungry, And as for pooping, he is a pooping machine! lol He seems happy and healthy to me, and i am more than happy to keep him as is. however my main concern is that he will not be able to walk good when he is older being that he is only 5 weeks old :( Thank you very much for both of your comments i really appreciate it I dont want you to think that i am going to put him to sleep because of this reason. i will do what ever it takes to make him better. I just wanted to make sure im not crazy and that someone else can see that he is walking funny. Thank you again

it looks to me that it could be a "nurse maid's elbow"
    It's when the elbow wont stay in it's socket. (not 100% sure)
    But get it to the vet to see. if it is, sugery will fix it or it will fix it's self on it's own.
    (i had it as a child & was in the ER 1-3 times a week to get it popped back it)
    it just looks like it pops out and in with every step, so it could just be a loose tendon in his/her elbow.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

Well I would ask a vetenarian and take some test to see if the animal is suffering. In my opinion, if the animal is suffering, or needed a surgery I would

1- go in surgery
    2- if not, euthanazide the animal.

Because I don't think that the animal deserve to suffer all of his life. But if the vets assure you that he doesn't feel any pain then I would keep him.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I've never heard it called what Pikey called it, but I guess I have nursemaid's left middle toe. It didn't start happening until I was a grownup and beyond, though. If I'm walking in really cold weather, like on a glacier, or if the back of my foot is hit -- like when someone tosses me onto a mat in aikido -- my toe pops out of alignment. It's pretty scary and hurts a bit, but I just sort of plug the joint back in place real slowly. After a few minutes, I've forgotten all about it. It hasn't stopped me from eating or pooping, although I supposed HernandosPapa will use it as an excuse to euthanize me, eventually. Anyway, your vet will have a more educated point of view, but it doesn't look or sound like your tegu is driven to distraction by it. He tries to use it normally with every step (well, every 4th step if you count one step for each limb) and if it was painful I would think he'd be dragging himself around.

Even if he broke a bone or joint, 5 weeks old is nothing and I would think he has plenty of opportunity to heal. They seem to be really resilliant in the long term to problems in their early months.

To be honest with you your Tegu doesn't look like that it has to be put down . He is walking around and fliking his tounge. This is a very good signe. I do recommend bringing him to a vet. I'm sure he will be OK. Maybe he was hungry and he jumped up to the screen top ( if you have one ) and fell on his leg the wrong way.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

i dont know if it's still called "nurse maid's elbow" anymore, but mine would just pop out for no reason or even just waving to some one & bam it's dislocated.
    but yes i would take to a vet 1st. & i agree it's doesn't appear to be in pain, just makes him/her walk w/ swagger
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)